Likely colours for babies

Moderator: Mods

dog_glenn123

Likely colours for babies

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me what i am likley to get with the following.

I have a cock bird that is Blue cinnimon his father was blue cinnimon (2 blue genes) and his mother was Violet (1 blue gene)
And then hen is Grey (Its parents are unknown)

What are the likely babaies to be?
And can i mate the cock bird with anything else besides a violet to get violet babaies from him?

Thanks Glenn
Recio

Re: Likely colours for babies

Post by Recio »

dog_glenn123 wrote:Hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me what i am likley to get with the following.

I have a cock bird that is Blue cinnimon his father was blue cinnimon (2 blue genes) and his mother was Violet (1 blue gene)
Hi,
1. A blue cinnamon cock and a violet hen will never produce a blue cinnamon cock.... so the genetics of the male or of his parents are not right.
2. A visual violet always carries 2 blue genes, otherwise it is a green violet split blue.

And then hen is Grey (Its parents are unknown)
What are the likely babaies to be?
Hen visual grey = hen blue grey

Blue cin cock x blue grey hen (assuming SF grey)

Males:
50.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue /cinnamon bl/bl;G+/G;cin+/cin;
50.0% 1.0 blue /cinnamon bl/bl;cin+/cin;

Females:
50.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue cinnamon bl/bl;G+/G;cin/Y;
50.0% 0.1 blue cinnamon bl/bl;cin/Y;
And can i mate the cock bird with anything else besides a violet to get violet babaies from him?
If you want to get visuals violets you need blue genes in mum and dad and at least a violet gen from one of them (mum as dad is not violet, just blue cinnamon) ... the hen must be violet and blue or split blue.

Hope it helps
Recio

Thanks Glenn[/quote]
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Thanks for your help that is exactly what the breeder told me i just wonted to check if anybody new differently.

Thanks Glenn
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

With regards to the parents of my Blue cinnimon cock i saw them at the time i bought the bird and its 3 sisters are all Violet.
And the parents are Blue cinnimon cock and Violet hen.
Genetics are confusing.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,
Can you post a pic of the violet mum?

If your cock is really blue cinnamon it means that he has herited one cinnamon gen from his father and another one from his mother. Since cinnamon gene is located in the X cromosome and the females only have one X cromosome, the cinnamon gene from his mother must be expresed by his mother ... in other words the mother must be a blue-violet-cinnamon. This bird is called a lavender and it is lighter than a true blue-violet, just looking similar to ... lavender.

Regards

Recio
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Recio thanks for all your replies in regards to the photo i cant get one the breeder is not near by.
But you are right i called him again and he told me that the mother is lavender!
He had two sets of violet hens breeding with different colour males. And a lavender paired to blue cinnimon.
Thanks you know your stuff.