Help with ALEXANDRINES?

Moderator: Mods

luccas

Help with ALEXANDRINES?

Post by luccas »

Hi, my name is luccas im new to the msg board and am just about to receive my first Alex (hand reared ofcourse) and was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful hints, points and ideas to build a close bond with my bird Vixen. and possibly elaborate on how to keep feathers and bird looking healthy and fit. Thanks i look forward to hearing from you.. Luccas :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hold it all day and talk to it like a baby. :roll:

Sad but true haha
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Most everything that pertains to ringnecks also pertains to Alexandrines. But everything is bigger, from cage to ammount of food.

Large toys, bathing, variety of veggies and fruits, etc. You'll find a ton of info already posted about thos topics. Much fun to you while readin. :)

And welcome to the board. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

It helps to give the bird lots of sun light and fruit and veg.
luccas

sunlight?

Post by luccas »

sunlight as in direct from outside? or indirect through a large window or door? is there a more dominant choice when regarding healthy plumage????- luke
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Here are some sites I found you might be interested in, this one is my fave deals with many mutations and gives images of this, they have samples of all the IRN mutations also

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... patria.htm

http://www.prettybirds.net/Alexandrine.htm

http://www.parrotsupercenter.com/shop/p ... goryID=150
Melika

Re: sunlight?

Post by Melika »

luccas wrote:sunlight as in direct from outside? or indirect through a large window or door? is there a more dominant choice when regarding healthy plumage????- luke

Direct sunlight. Even under a shady tree it's still direct.

Sunlight is absorbed through the eyes and skin (of us too! We need sunlight!) which helps the body form vitamin D, which helps the body utilize calcium.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Are your birds full-flighted Melika? And if so, how do they get their direct sunlight?

I put my babies on their condo, on the lania. Although it is screened, I still sit out there with them. ANYthing could happen, flutter into the pool, prowler after prey, human theifs (God be with the person I had to pry one of my babies out of the hands of). But, I still wonder if I do this often enough.

They love it out there. Hubby has ordered the stuff they use at Busch Gardens for their HUUUUUGE aviary. It is literally ACRES big. Anyway, it isnt going to be big, only about 20x20 but that is huge compared to a cage.

Then I dont have to watch them like a hawk. I can put them in the aviary to allow them to be closer to nature and still be safe. Not having to worry about an innocent fleeing from a condo ending in a drowned bird.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

We've had a few red-tailed hawks in the area so when Hane is out he's always on my hand. He's clipped, has to be in our house.

But we'll go for walks in the backyard or we'll just sit on the front steps after his bath. He's always prettier when he dries in the sunlight. ^_^