Ringneck and grey???

Moderator: Mods

Alphamare

Ringneck and grey???

Post by Alphamare »

I have a young grey and am looking for a companion bird but dont want another grey

there is a young ringneck near me (a grey one) who is looking for a home. would they be a good match?

thanks
julie

Re: Ringneck and grey???

Post by julie »

I wouldnt reccommend keeping/housing them together. But having both should be ok. They would need to be supervised whilst together at all times.
Even though ringnecks are a smaller bird compared to what I think you are refferring to as a african grey, they are a lot of bird in a small package, they more times than not dont back down and like to stand their ground.
Alphamare

Post by Alphamare »

yes african grey, She is about 12 inches and i believe with tail the ringnecks are 16? so not too muc difference.

I am looking for a bird that can hold its own as gerys 'can be' bossy. Senegals are another that go well with them but i was not sure of ringnecks as its not on the list as it were.

I have no intention of housing them together but side by side as he has his own cage already. I dont want them to pair just to be some company when im not home.

She only come out of her cage under supervision anyway. :)
julie

Post by julie »

yep should be ok, but it depends on each bird, they may like each other or they may hate eachother. will just have to see how they go.
Is the ringneck tame?
Alphamare

Post by Alphamare »

he is ten months old so only a baby

I have not yet rung so dont have all details but he appears to take food from the hand according to the advert so hand taming if he isnt totally should be ok.

im just concerned about the long tail. i prefer short tailed birds

She my grey is 5months old
julie

Post by julie »

I would highly reccomend checking out some posts on this board re taming ect, 10 months is plenty old enough for the bird to be a little terror or big terror.