6 week old chick

Moderator: Mods

riantango08

6 week old chick

Post by riantango08 »

i would like to take my 6 week old out of the nest and rear it till it goes to its new home
just a couple of questions which u have all probably heard before :oops:
will it be to stressful for the bub/how will mum and dad cope
i have an old fish tank that i think would be ok for it to stay in
do i use the same nest box material as ive got out in the nest box
what kind of lighting would i need,how often would the light have to be on
how many feeds would the baby be on at the moment and should i start introducing different foods also what hand rearing food do u recommend
how many times a day do i handle the little bub
thanks,im hoping to bring the little one in,in a couple of days
Fah

Re: 6 week old chick

Post by Fah »

There is a stickied thread in regards to feeding routines on the forum.

Best to handle the bub as much as possible around feed times (before, after, during etc) this gives interaction, but lets it rest when it needs it. They are generally very vibrant before feed times, so its a good period to get some social interaction in.

You need a thermometer, and you need to run the light as much as required to keep the brooder at the right temp which should be around 26 degrees c.

I highly reccomend Passwells hand rearing mix (harder to clean off when dry, but one of the very best you can use). I also highly reccomend kaytee hand rearing mix.

These are at the higher end of the price range, but this is for a reason, if you keep them in airtight containers (kaytee comes in one, passwells dont) it lasts generally for two seasons before you should dispose of it.

They key to this forum is really searching through it, looking in the different threads, and reading the sticky information... there is basicly nothing that has yet to be covered, its just a matter of digging around a little.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Agree with Fah----My lil guy is on Passwell and is doing great.Putting on an average of 5 gramms a day :)
Fah

Post by Fah »

I forgot to mention a container of water in the brooder is required, especially with heating systems from lights. It can be a very dry environment, causing skin problems and growth issues can easily come from that. Its just to keep a normal level of humidity around.

It needs to be safe from being pushed over, and cant be possible for the bird to climb into.

If your environment is a nicely humid one, this might not be a problem, but best to play on the side of caution imo.