how to mix kaytees

Moderator: Mods

jayesh

how to mix kaytees

Post by jayesh »

hi there, my alexandrines age between 25 - 29 days old. I just wanted to know how many tabblespoons of the handrearing formula do i mix with how many mls of water?

Thanks
Jayesh
jayesh
lewi111

Re: how to mix kaytees

Post by lewi111 »

Not real ure about Kaytees---but the one Im using at the moment is 1 part formula to 1 part water for a Chick that age.Just make sure its not too runny and not too thick.Hope this is of some help
jayesh

Post by jayesh »

so like yoghurt?
jayesh
Melika

Post by Melika »

I believe it would say on the label. Every brand will be different in temperature and the amount of water you mix in.

If the food is running through their crop too quickly, then it's likely time to thicken it up a little. Do you have a local breeder you can call and get an idea of the thickness you need for a guy that age?

I'll assume you were taught by someone and have seen firsthand what it should look like? :?

Edit: Try PMing Mysty at this site (she has posted in this topic http://www.theperch.net/discussion/show ... 574&page=2 ). She has hand-reared some Alexs and seems to be on that site often enough to get back to you quickly!

Edit again: Just saw your other post. According to Julie's reply she fed her Alex at the same times as her IRN so perhaps this would help too. I believe there is a note on thickness. But again, I learned hands-on from a breeder so I just knew what it should look like coming off the spoon when I was stirring. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

If you go to vetafarm australia website,there is a short video on mixing hand rareing formula there.Its under the links on the left of the home page there under You Tube clips.
jayesh

Post by jayesh »

Ok thanks i think i have it sussed, that video really helped with the whole fork testing thingie. Well the chicks are now 4 weeks old and ive taken them from the nest,
Do you think it will be harder to hand raise them becasue theyr older?
I was told not to start hand feeding till the morning so that all their mothers food has been fully digested and dosnt mix with the new formula.
jayesh
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Hi dont know about Alex's but I took my IRN out at 3 1/2 weeks.
Yeah I was advised to take the chick out the evening before you want to start feeding.
This is my first hand rareing experience and so far so good :) .
I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions before I started
All the best to you --- hope everything goes ok.