Wont sit on eggs

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

Wont sit on eggs

Post by JimHcctx »

I have a blue lacewing hen, she laid 4 eggs, however none were fertile or at least none developed. She is constantly climbing to the top of the nest box and peeking out, it’s like she won’t sit still long enough to keep the eggs warn.

This was her first time laying, I didn’t think they would take, but wanted to give her the chance. I pulled all for eggs yesterday and the cock is already displaying to her again (his first time also).

Is this something that will improve, or is there something I can do to keep her sitting?

Thanks

Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Jay

Re: Wont sit on eggs

Post by Jay »

JimHcctx wrote:I have a blue lacewing hen, she laid 4 eggs, however none were fertile or at least none developed. She is constantly climbing to the top of the nest box and peeking out, it’s like she won’t sit still long enough to keep the eggs warn.

This was her first time laying, I didn’t think they would take, but wanted to give her the chance. I pulled all for eggs yesterday and the cock is already displaying to her again (his first time also).

Is this something that will improve, or is there something I can do to keep her sitting?

Thanks

Jim

You can't make a hen sit on her eggs. It's entirely up to her. Although most mature pairs get it right the first time, sometimes it takes several breeding cycles for others to get it right.

If you are positive that the hen isn't incubating, you may want to consider fostering the eggs.
Recio

Re: Wont sit on eggs

Post by Recio »

JimHcctx wrote:I have a blue lacewing hen, she laid 4 eggs, however none were fertile or at least none developed. She is constantly climbing to the top of the nest box and peeking out, it’s like she won’t sit still long enough to keep the eggs warn.

Thanks

Jim
Young ringnecks love to stand on the top of nest boxes. First time breeding female can still keep this behaviour, something like "I feel I must do something about this box, but what: sitting inside, sitting outside,...?" If you put the nest box close to the top of the aviary, the hen will not be able to sit on it and maybe she will go inside and sit on the eggs.

Hope it works

Recio