How common are incorrect DNA results??

Moderator: Mods

Steggles

How common are incorrect DNA results??

Post by Steggles »

We have had Princess Elvie for around 1y/5months - she was quite young when brought. In December 07 we had her DNA tested which came back as female. All is well, she is light of our childless lives (lol).

HOWEVER! She recently molted, and husband and I are now questioning if she is actually a HE! Her mating dance consists of her wings crossing over at the back, and her leaning way out, side to side, like she is possessed...

Here are a few pics... excuse lack of focus on 2nd one, hard to get her to pose today!

Approx Nov/Dec 07:

Today(25th Dec 08):

Looks like a ring forming?!?

We honestly don't care if she is male or female, though would be a change... She is adored, and babied...

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts/experiences/suggestions! THANKS! and Merry Christmas!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Nah, that light grey ring is common in blue hens, some quite heavily so. When the ring starts to form the grey/black in cock birds, its quiet noticable, and at the same time the head starts to lighten up a touch.

Here is a pic of one of my birds (a turq blue hen) 6yo with a grey ring.

By the way... DNA results are 99% so one in a hundred is wrong according to testing schemes, though it can depend on who you source the test from.

I have been dealing with a company DNAsolutions for years and never had someone get in touch saying it was incorrect, nor have I had my own birds proven otherwise, just very unlucky for the test to come back opposite.

She has a strong aqua rear ring, and a strong light grey front ring... this is proof you can never say never in the world of animals.

Given the DNA test, I would still safely say its a girl.

Steggles

Post by Steggles »

Thanks Fah!!!
The test was done through an Australian university? Whoever the vet sent it to I guess! Glad I don't have to change her being our princess, all the pink can stay, yay! :lol:
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

DNA says girl ... and it looks like a girl ... my female (laid eggs!) has a ring like that, males have a DEFINITE DARK ring ... but I know what you mean - when you see that ring, even a light one, you wonder ...
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
TD

Post by TD »

Steggles, I have a similar situation, my blue is unsexed, and I am waiting for this summers moult to see if it's boy or girl. Mine looks just like yours, I am hoping for a male because I already have a female albino. If nothing happens after this moult, then I will get a DNA test.