Tail Feathers...

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

Tail Feathers...

Post by SDAnimalKing »

Ok I'm looking at all the pictures of everyone else's IRNs and see nice long beautiful tail feathers.... how long does it take for them to grow in... my misfit had 3 of them but one got kinked and fell out on its own, and now he's only got two... and they are pretty small... he looks pretty dumb with out his tail feathers...
Fah

Post by Fah »

Ringnecks go through two important moults. Their first moult, about a year after hatch, and their second moult, just whack on another year.

Sometimes (in my experience anyway) the first moult is very small, almost not much at all, but it is around this time that the tail feathers really kick into action and by 1yo, they have a solidly sized tail.

The second moult is generally their worst, and most changing... by this point, hens are mostly in full colour and feather, and the cock birds have generally transformed all together. Its amazing to watch the difference between a juv blue, compared to an adult blue... the changes in the males are amazing.

Young pet birds generally dont care much for their tail, my guy was almost impossible to keep his tail in good feather till about 1-1.5 years of age... he didnt care about twisting it, kinking it etc...