Considering a Second IRN

Moderator: Mods

MrsVanPelt

Considering a Second IRN

Post by MrsVanPelt »

I've been thinking about getting a second IRN for a while now, and recently I saw a post for one on Craigslist that includes his cage for an adoption fee of $100. He's 5 months old so that makes him about the same age as Marley.

We are gone a lot during the day (8 hours 3 days a week) so I was wondering if the birds would actually be able to keep each other company. They would have separate cages, but right next to each other. How did you multiple bird owners make the decision to get #2? How do I tell if my bird would like another bird?
Proud wife of Rocky, Mother toMarley (IRN), JayBird and Cally (Rats), Jebadiah (Mouse), Rasta and Reggae (Bearded Dragons). Auntie to Princess (Poodle)
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I have several birds and I love everyone of them. It takes a while at first for the birds to get used to each other and there is a certain amount of jealousy for a while. in time they except each other a flock members. all my birds have out of cage time together on different play areas. They don't try to fly over to someone elses play area to start a fight or anything like that but that does not happen right away. you also must keep the pecking order if you ever want the old bird to except the new bird in other words you must do everything for the old bird first feeding, playing. bathing what ever it is first bird first second bird after that when you have 7 birds its sometimes hard I have a list of who comes first second third and so on.