play gym supplies from hardware store?

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

play gym supplies from hardware store?

Post by SkyBaby »

There's only 2 hardware stores plus one Home Depot in our town. All three have wood dowel rods. Are those bird-safe? I asked a few of the workers. The answer from all of them was a tentative "I think they would be fine". I don't want to try until I hear from you guys. Those things are really cheap at hardware stores for 4 feet long rods, as opposed to more expensive and shorter lengths found at pet stores.

I'm also thinking of getting several of those PVC (is PVC safe?) corner-type pieces. (dunno what they're called) What can I used to glue them together? Is wood glue or some sort of hot glue safe if I make it so Sky can't get to it?

Note..

I've already used the search engine on here to find the answer to what I'm asking. No luck, so I asked here instead.

Thanks for reading!
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

lol check out my design in the be creative forum in the housing and diet forum...

I went ahead and got the dowels, they werent treated with chemicals, just cut and dried with heat... I believe PVC is ok, I've used it for other birds and animals before without problems... If you want some rope as well home depot sells Sisal rope for pretty cheap and its not treated with anything either!
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

The dowels from the hardware store are fine for birds also pvc is safe I glued my pvc ply gyms together with Pvc glue but I was very careful to put the glu on only the vey ends of the Pvc so that no glue was actally on the parts where the brids where going to be playing I also built them outside and left them outside to dry after the pvc glue drys there is no odor just make sure that you don't glue anythin before its exactly where you want it you won't be able to change it later