pulling babies...what age, setup etc.

Moderator: Mods

tucker

pulling babies...what age, setup etc.

Post by tucker »

hi there....i am new to breeding and have just joined this forum. We have a blue hen and a grey/green cock. "Bonnie" has just laid 2 eggs over the last 3 days. I am so excited. I didnt realise the hen only lays an egg every 2nd day, I found this helpful information on this forum. THANK YOU!!
I have read and learnt as much as possible, but, would like some help from other members.
I want to handraise 2 babies, what is the best age to pull them?? It seems that the best time is about 3 weeks, am I correct??
What kind of setup do I need for them?? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Fah

Post by Fah »

For a first time hand raiser with parrots, I would suggest you dont pull them till about 4 weeks of age. You wont get any benefit from behaviour between 3 and 4 weeks your first time around, and honestly it makes life alot easier regarding mixes and worries.

Anytime around 4 weeks is a good time.

You need a small brooder, you can build one cheaply and efficiently, or buy one.. though purchasing often comes with a hefty price tag.

There is ALOT of information on making brooders on the internet, a few google searches will find you flooded with info, worst comes to worst and post back here :P

Regarding their feed routines, I believe there is a great post that was stickied here in regards to food prep and when and how etc....

First time hand rearing? Or just relatively new to it? I would highly suggest the spoon, and not use any other form of feeding... curved teaspoon was how I learnt and I learnt alot that way, the easier the steps, the better breeder one becomes imo.

Grats, and if you cant find that info harass us again. Best of luck :D
tucker

Post by tucker »

Hi...Thanks heaps for all the info.
So far we have 3 eggs!! :D
We are first time breeders, so, this will be our first time at hand rearing.
I will be checking on the internet, as you have suggested, for info on brooders, and, I will check out the info on food prep etc.
Thanks for your help, it's very much apprecciated. I will be sure to post again if there is anything I'm not sure of.
Cheers.... :P
Fah

Post by Fah »

No worries at all :D Deffinately hit us up if you have any questions or cant find what your after :D