Feathers Don't Grow

Moderator: Mods

Aves

Feathers Don't Grow

Post by Aves »

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone will be able to lend me some advice. Levi is almost 1 year old and her flight feathers and tail feathers have still not all grown in fully, is this normal?

She has no "bald spots" and has feathers covering her entirely, but she has never had a real tail for very long. The tail that first grew in when she was about 5 months old broke off feather by feather and she still has the short "stalks" from those but no other feathers have ever started growing in. The breeder we got her from clipped her flight feathers as she was being handled and handfed as a baby, and they have also not started being replaced by new flight feathers yet either. She appears healthy, we've had her checked out by an avian vet, but we find it a little weird that the feathers are taking so long to come back in (perhaps we are used to our cockatiel whose feathers seem to grow back within a matter of a couple months when trimmed).

This is our first ringneck and from the start she has been more of a "walk around the house" kind of a bird than a "fly around the house" type of a bird (which is how I think she broke her tail feathers to begin with, carelessly dragging them around). Her cage is quite roomy, but honestly she spends most of her time out of it with us anyway so we don't think they are getting caught on anything.

Just wondering how long it usually takes for those "long feathers" to come in... Thanks! :?: :D
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I dont really know how long they take to come in Amazon is a walk around the house bird never flies and has never ever broke a tail feather his feathers seem to come out pretty fast he loses one when moulting and their is another there to replace it in a week or so.

Maybe your baby doesnt want tail feathers to keep breaking :)
Sharlene and Amazon
Aves

Post by Aves »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, a week is about how long it takes for a feather to come in on my cockatiel too (to be replaced when one falls out). I don't mind the short feathers on Levi, she looks just as cute anyway, but I just find it a bit weird.

I find it interesting that yours only takes a short while. I thought for a while that maybe Levi was chewing them off or something, but you can tell they are the same feathers, I mean she literally has the same clipped edges on her flight feathers since they were first cut. Also, when her tail feathers broke off a few months ago we trimmed the "raggy" edges straight so they would stay cleaner and those edges are still there too! She basically looks like a ringneck with a crewcut as far as her flight and tail feathers go. heheh... I'll have to ask the vet the next time we are in if they don't start growing by our next visit. Thanks again!
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"