Introducing....Jazzy and Buddy!

Moderator: Mods

xo Missi

Introducing....Jazzy and Buddy!

Post by xo Missi »

Here are my new fids! The first link is to Jasmine's, my 3 month old female Eclectus, gallery. She goes by Jazzy for short :D

http://missicore.com/gallery/album07

Here's a video of me trying to get Jasmine to sqwak but of course she only does it quietly...
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/mabrody/?action=view&current=9.flv

Here is Buddy or Peeprs. He's our lil peachfaced lovebird. About 10 weeks old.

http://missicore.com/gallery/album08

And now here is a video of Buddy flying to his papa. Note his wings are completly clipped!...
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/mabrody/?action=view&current=8.flv
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

:lol: SQUAWWK!! purty birds, purty birds! :lol:

huggles,

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
Cindy

LOVE those babies

Post by Cindy »

I just LOVE those babies! Especially wet birdy pics......Such a sweet lovie and smart too! Jazzy better look out, or I will be peeking around a corner to steal a kiss from that sweet beak...Good Luck with your new babies!!
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

aww cute babies Missi! :)
~the stubborn one~
tayloraj23

Post by tayloraj23 »

Missi, they are so cute. I enjoyed looking at the pictures and watching the videos. I hope we get to see more soon. :D
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Missi:

Can't express how it makes me feel to see those beautiful birds. Buddy is a cute little thing and the pic of him with his head up in the shower taking the water in the face says it all about his personality.

But you know Jasmine is my favorite. I just love that calm eclectus expression. The way they sit and watch you. I just love it. She's beautiful wet or dry.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

What kind of ekkie is she looks like a voss. I just got a baby female si ekkie she does the little soft squawk too. I love all the pics of you birds. The love bird is just so cute. your ekkie is gorgeous.
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Hey guys :D Glad you liked the pics. I'll keep them coming 8)

I was amazed at Jasmine last night. The neighbors came over and she stepped right up on them and started staring at them and sqwaking! I expected her to be shy of strangers. It's good, though, I want her to be social. She's still kind of if-y about her fresh fruits and veggies but she tears her pellets and nuts up! Digs right in there. *shrug*

Buddy, well he'll fly onto anyones shoulder or head! :roll: And he'll fly away from his fresh fruits and veggies...I dunno what's wrong with my fids right now!

I wish I had Baby as part of the flock still. I'm really wanting another irn...it's s ickness of sorts. Not that I don't love Jazzy and Buddy, but no birds compare to the irn! Jazzy is pretty darn amazing though! :o She let's me snuggle her, hold her like a baby, and kiss her on the face!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Aren't ekkies great? I just adore your Jazzy...she is gorgeous! More pics you :wink:

Dani

P.S. maybe an IRN isn't a bad idea...would be the right size for the lovie to try to play with rather than the 'huge' ekkie :D

iaowings...I am 99.9% sure that Jazzy is a solomon island...but there is always the chance that she is a hybrid. She is NOT a vos...she doesn't have the daisy yellow underneath her vent or the big bright band on the end of her tail
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Dani03 wrote:Aren't ekkies great? I just adore your Jazzy...she is gorgeous! More pics you :wink:

Dani

P.S. maybe an IRN isn't a bad idea...would be the right size for the lovie to try to play with rather than the 'huge' ekkie :D

iaowings...I am 99.9% sure that Jazzy is a solomon island...but there is always the chance that she is a hybrid. She is NOT a vos...she doesn't have the daisy yellow underneath her vent or the big bright band on the end of her tail

Ooooh Dani...you're the devil!!!! LOL Convincing me to get another irn.......*holds chin and ponders* Well I'm already NEVER going to pay off my credit card....what's another $1000 towards an irn and cage!! :shock: ...jk...maybe...not yet...but I dunno....*runs off in frustration* :wink:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I am just here to help you along...and if that means helping you to get another fid so be it :P

The way I see it...if I can help a fid in need of a good home I will do it. This is why Bodi is here and why Aggie will be here soon...I'm no help when it comes to deciding on whether or not to get one cause I will ALWAYS say yes...I can refuse a fid in need...

You know you want to hear those cute little IRN noises again...and sit with one in your lap and just cuddle... :D

Dani
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

Ok ok I just saw the video of her and I saw the blue eye ring. She looks bigger than Carmen so that’s why I thought maybe a voss but I was wrong. This is funny because Missy got a female si and I have a female si, also I looked at the pics and we both have the same cage too. How weird is that, cool though. Missy just told me that Jazzy is 14 weeks and Carmen is 13 weeks so our girls are going to be growing up at the same time.

Missy is Jazzy weaned or are you hand feeding at home? My Carmen is still on two sometimes three feedings a day.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Aww Missi they are gorgeous Keep the pics coming please!!

Donna
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Dani03 wrote:I am just here to help you along...and if that means helping you to get another fid so be it :P

The way I see it...if I can help a fid in need of a good home I will do it. This is why Bodi is here and why Aggie will be here soon...I'm no help when it comes to deciding on whether or not to get one cause I will ALWAYS say yes...I can refuse a fid in need...

You know you want to hear those cute little IRN noises again...and sit with one in your lap and just cuddle... :D

Dani

:lol: Well in that case, thanks for the help! I think I have my hands full with Jazzy right now because she is being overly quirky and high maintenence since they weaned her too quickly! Boy, do I ache for another irn though!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I hate it when breeders force wean babies...they always end up being weird almost neurotic birds! Bodi was forced weaned and not allowed to learn to fly completely so he is a needy little thing and falls like a deflated football...

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

iaowings wrote:Ok ok I just saw the video of her and I saw the blue eye ring. She looks bigger than Carmen so that’s why I thought maybe a voss but I was wrong. This is funny because Missy got a female si and I have a female si, also I looked at the pics and we both have the same cage too. How weird is that, cool though. Missy just told me that Jazzy is 14 weeks and Carmen is 13 weeks so our girls are going to be growing up at the same time.

Missy is Jazzy weaned or are you hand feeding at home? My Carmen is still on two sometimes three feedings a day.

SHUT UP! We have the same cage to?!! That's SO crazy! Yes, Jazz is weaned. Too soon I think, so she is being a finicky eater. Sometimes she will eat a lil cold fruits and veggies on her own, sometimes she'll pig out on pellets, and loves nuts. But I have had the best luck spoon feeding her Beak Appetit. http://www.beakappetit.com/ It takes up a TON of time caring for this lil baby girl! She's bonding to me so well, though. Let's me kiss her all over her face and hold her like a baby. I hope she doesn't shut out my boyfriend though. He was trying to hold her this morning and she was biting him! Today is his day off, though, so I told him to spend a ton of time feeding and playing with her. It's really hard, though, since we have the lovebird so he usually just holds the lovie and I care for Jazzy...can't ignore the lovie, so I dunno what the answer is!! *goes crazy and pulls hair out* :roll:
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Donna wrote:Aww Missi they are gorgeous Keep the pics coming please!!

Donna

Thank you!! and....WILL DO! :lol:
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Dani03 wrote:I hate it when breeders force wean babies...they always end up being weird almost neurotic birds! Bodi was forced weaned and not allowed to learn to fly completely so he is a needy little thing and falls like a deflated football...

Dani

OMG so I don't know anything about force weaning Dani....I'm scared now. Does it effect their health? Jazzy was also not fledged. She has no problem gliding down from a fall though. She also climbs very well now. She loves to sit on top of her Boing and then hop down to perches below....so you think Jazz was force weaned?
I mean I wouldn't think she was forced weaned because the ladies seem so nice and loving to the birds and laid back..... :?: :!:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Force weaning, especially in ekkies, is generally NOT good for the mental health of the bird. In the wild they are allowed to decide when it is time to stop begging for food and are slowly weaned from it. In our homes, to move the 'merchendise' faster, they are forced to wean as quickly as possible. It's sad but yes it happens all the time.

Not being allowed to fledge completely is almost worse. Bodi wasn't allowed to learn to fly and he is the most unstable poor thing I have ever met. He NEVER wants to fly...won't even try it. They are very uncoordinated...it's so sad to see him not want to try to fly.

The differences between the two are amazing. Prinny was allowed to wean herself...and allowed to fledge. She is self assured and will take off at any moment (which I allow her to enjoy) Bodi refuses to learn and just glides down...he'd rather walk. There is nothing we can do as owners to help them...other than letting Jazzy's wings grow out and allow her to learn to fly.

She was already weaned so there is no help for us there. Ekkies are one of the hardest birds to handfeed...so weaning is generally a long process. Force weaning is one of the cruelest thing humans do to these poor things.

Dani
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

I had to ask because Carmen is only 1 week younger and eats some foods but not much she loves her formula and gets it when she wants it. I so want to bring her home but am not allowed until she is weaned. I was told (I have heard different opinions on this) that ekkies can take anywhere from 4- 12 month to wean. The place I got Carmen tell me she is welcome to stay as long as SHE wants, they feed her however much she wants. She only eats twice a day from hand but it is her choice she still gets offered food no matter what.

That makes me so mad that people do that to birds. can Missy start to hand feed Jazzy again so she will not lose weight and all that? or after they are weaned they cant go back?
Im worried about Jazzy, I hope she is ok.

Oh has she seen a vet yet Im sure he can help give you a good feeding plan.

I was offered the option to let Carmen learn to fly or not, im glad I told them that I want her to stay unclipped until she has leaned what wings are for. I had to sign a waver that if she got hurt wile flying I could not hold them responsible. I trust them and signed it.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Iaowings...you have found yourself one great breeder! I applaud what they are doing...how many birds would be better off coming from such a wonderful place! Your Carmen will be one well adjusted fid when she comes home...

Dani
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Missi,
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to remark on these darling pictures and video! The first night I saw them the board wouldn't let me respond and then when I logged out and tried to log back in it gave me some kind of error report. I love it. They are so cute. Jazzy is just darling and so is your lovie! Keep videos and pics coming.

Hugs,
Jen
Bird crazy

weaning

Post by Bird crazy »

Missi

I think the fact that you are spoon feeding is finnishing off the hand feeding. But if you think she is losing wt then maybe go back to a hand feeding formula and mix it a little thick for her. I hand fed my Rowdy and he just gradually stopped feeding from the syringe, he would beg to be feg but push the syringe away, and I fed him from the spoon 2-3 times a day because he wanted to. I kept offerring him the feeding even if he didn't beg for it and eventually he just gave it up, for about 2 weeks he just played with it and one day I just didn't offer and he was happy with that. He did learn to hold the spoon and eat off the spoon. Whenever I had anything fairly thick I would give him a spoonful and he would hold the spoon to eat it :D

I think you'll do fine with Jazzy. Just keep the spoon feeding up until she gives it up. :) Sue and Nila
Sue
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

Believe it or not I got Carmen at a bird store. They are the best one I have ever seen in my life. They are totally awesome, they get there birds from the breeders and they are raised at the owners house until they are old enough to be in the store. They do have the babies out for people to hold and play with, they usually have about 3- 4 employees walking the floor answering questions and keeping an eye on things. I know they will sell an unweaned baby but the policies are strict. You have to prove to them that you can feed in three ways spoon, syringe, and lavage. They then ask questions about crop burn, and other related problems. You are also required to prove that you know how to do emergency and routine care along with knowing how to wean. They still require the bird to come in so that they can weigh it and check on it 3 or more times a week. Not many people take home-unweaned birds. In addition, they have this strange rule that if anyone in the house is under 16 the bird cannot be weaned at home. You are also required to have an appropriate size cage or buy the right sized from them if not you do not get sold a bird. I have noticed that their idea of an appropriate cage is on the large side, I think they are just trying to make more money on the cage. I don’t care because if the bird gets a big cage out of it great.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hey Wings,
I was in NC when I got my first parrot. A senegal. I did business with a bird store in the Raleigh Durham area, it was owned by a vet. Can't remember the name, It was a great store, My step son then got a bird in a bird store in the Charlotte area and got his Timneh African Grey there. Both were bird only stores and very good. Had all the rules you were talking about. Very knowledgeable staff and you felt pretty sure no one bought a bird without considering all the ins and outs of bird ownership.

Good to know they are out there.

Sue and Nila
Sue
angie

Post by angie »

Absolutely adorable. Your ekkie is lovely. I go to visit a breeder down the road just to play with his Patty. And I adore your sweet little lovebird.
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Hi family *hugs* Thanks all for your comments, suggestions, and compliments.

DANI, SUE....HELP!!

Jazzy has been feeding healthily if I warm her food. I fix her warm Beak Appetit and microwave the fruits and veggies that I dice up for her. I microwaved a sweet potato and mashed it up the other evening and she LOVED it!. I don't think she'll drink water, though, unless I microwave it to warm (NOT HOT) and syringe administer it to her. When I get home from work, after her being alone for 8 hours, her poopies are lacking the urine part. I assume she is not drinking from her dish. I don't know if I'm helping or hindering her by syringing water...will she never learn to drink from a dish if I keep hand watering her? Will she never learn to eat on her own or learn to eat cold fruits and veggies if I keep warming them? She barely eats her pellets during the day anymore. Scarfs down the warm food I offer when I get home, though.
AIIEEE!! I'm stressed but she acts as a healthy happy bird. Climbs around like crazy...everywhere. Her favourite place is sitting at the toy of the inside of her cage on her Boing rope. Plays with toys too. Has amazing balance. Lately I have not been able to keep her from flying. For some reason, even though she's clipped short, she jumps off the perch on the table and glides down over 10 feet. Sometimes even flapping her wings. It's amazing yet worrysome. I can never take her outside with out being in a cage (yes, I'm going to try a Feather Tether on her tis weekend).
Another problem I have noticed is that after I administer her warm water, when ever she poos/pee she makes a farty noise from her bum and/or makes an "oomph" or squeaking noise like shes maybe pushing or maybe it's uncomfortable? I dunno! Poopies are normal color...just most of the time, lacking the white part or just have a lil bit of it.
We have a vet appointment for the lovie and ekkie on Monday September 18th but. I want it to be thourough but the closest actual avian vet is 2 houors away either in Miami or Loxahatchee. *sigh* but The Aviary said the one I took Baby to is a good caring doctor. He see all animals though, including exotics.

*SIGH* Sometimes I think I just want to trade both birds in on another IRN :( I'm kinda disheartened right now because I have to do everything for Jazy and really I have no clue what I'm doing...but I AM keeping her alive, happy, and healthy! :roll: *falls over, passes out, and dreams of perfect Baby*
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Missi...STOP...

Now that I got your attention...Missi hun...first things first...Baby is gone. Sad...and terrible as it is Baby is gone for now. You have to think about the NOW and you have two birds who need your attention right now. Don't think about how it would be or should be...this of how it COULD be and IS.

Ekkies are not IRNs...they are far from it. They are not easy to take care of but once you get into the cycle of care that they require...it gets easier with time. She is new in your house...give her a chance to completely and totally settle in before you begin to worry or freak out. Odds are she is getting plently of liquids from the veggies and fruits you are giving her.

They are demanding...no doubt about it! But the most we can ever do is help them to thrive and love them. Jazzy and Buddy will NEVER be Baby but they are Jazzy and Buddy...let them be the birds they are and don't force them into the mold that Baby held.

Yes...we ekkies owners do everything for our birds...Bodi is more like a baby than Prinny ever is...but I do everything because I took on his responisbility...I took on the role of mother/mate/companion for both of them.

Dani
Bird crazy

Missi are you concious?

Post by Bird crazy »

Hey Missi:

Boy do I know how you feel. But I want you to know that like real children all kinds of terrible things can happen and go wrong but the incidence of any of them actually happening is very very rare. I think because you already experienced that very very rare occurence with Baby you are probably more frightened than most. But now you must realize that the odds are definitly in your favor and everthing will be fine.

My Rowdie was a very needy little fellow, unlike this independent little Nila. But it was the reason I loved the eclectus breed so much. You'll establish a workable routine with Jasmine and Buddy and after 6 months or so you won't even notice it. Are you coming to the vet up here again on the 18th? I may be in Va, my sister is having surgery but my husband is also sick and I'm not sure I'll go. So if you're up here let me know I'd love to meet you. Even if I just come to the vet's office and sit with you while you wait your turn. :)
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Dani03 wrote:Missi...STOP...

Now that I got your attention...Missi hun...first things first...Baby is gone. Sad...and terrible as it is Baby is gone for now. You have to think about the NOW and you have two birds who need your attention right now. Don't think about how it would be or should be...this of how it COULD be and IS.

Ekkies are not IRNs...they are far from it. They are not easy to take care of but once you get into the cycle of care that they require...it gets easier with time. She is new in your house...give her a chance to completely and totally settle in before you begin to worry or freak out. Odds are she is getting plently of liquids from the veggies and fruits you are giving her.

They are demanding...no doubt about it! But the most we can ever do is help them to thrive and love them. Jazzy and Buddy will NEVER be Baby but they are Jazzy and Buddy...let them be the birds they are and don't force them into the mold that Baby held.

Yes...we ekkies owners do everything for our birds...Bodi is more like a baby than Prinny ever is...but I do everything because I took on his responisbility...I took on the role of mother/mate/companion for both of them.

Dani

Dani, thank you. I needed that. I just get soooo overwhelmed.

I am feeling better about Jasmine today, she is eating her warmed fruits, veggies, and Beak Appetit. I was trying to give her water via the syringe but she kept pushing it away, which is good, I guess...but I havn't seen her drink from a water dish since like the first couple days I had her.

I was also getting disheartened because I knew I could never take Jazzy outside, which I loved to do with Baby, because she can glide/fly so well. This morning I have been doing tons of research. I came across this product http://theparrotuniversity.com/harness/harness.html
I'm going to try that with her. I'm ever researching on free flighted pet parrots and considering letting her flight feathers grow out. I don't understand how some people like this.......

http://www.shadeseclectus.com/eclectus_freeflight.htm
http://www.freeflight-usa.com/
http://www.theotiseffect.com/

....let their parrots free fly even with trees around and they still have their birds!! I think it's AMAZING! However, I would never let Jazzy out without a leash because the odds are big of her not coming back.

Anywho, I working with her. I tink I just get stressed with working all day and worrying about her then coming home to see her not "normal" but I know...it will take time for the both of us.
xo Missi

Re: Missi are you concious?

Post by xo Missi »

Bird crazy wrote:Hey Missi:

Boy do I know how you feel. But I want you to know that like real children all kinds of terrible things can happen and go wrong but the incidence of any of them actually happening is very very rare. I think because you already experienced that very very rare occurence with Baby you are probably more frightened than most. But now you must realize that the odds are definitly in your favor and everthing will be fine.

My Rowdie was a very needy little fellow, unlike this independent little Nila. But it was the reason I loved the eclectus breed so much. You'll establish a workable routine with Jasmine and Buddy and after 6 months or so you won't even notice it. Are you coming to the vet up here again on the 18th? I may be in Va, my sister is having surgery but my husband is also sick and I'm not sure I'll go. So if you're up here let me know I'd love to meet you. Even if I just come to the vet's office and sit with you while you wait your turn. :)

Sue, thank you as well. You have such a kind way of saying things and calming me :)
Keep me updated on your travel plans because we should meet up when I go up to Viscaya to see McKelvie. Then you can meet Jazzy and Buddy :) Well and my boyfriend, Joe but he's not as exciting :lol: I'm sorry to hear your husband is sick, though. :(
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

Wow Missi Your ekkie is so cute!!!! I hope to have a pair some day that way I can breed them. I cant wait to see your first vid of her talking, they are supposed to be great talkers!!
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

surferdon wrote:Wow Missi Your ekkie is so cute!!!! I hope to have a pair some day that way I can breed them. I cant wait to see your first vid of her talking, they are supposed to be great talkers!!

Yes! Competing in the top three talkers...Greys, Amazons, and Ekkies :D

It will be exciting when she talks. I am working with her. We do the blinking game...she does it right back to me and then I say "I love you" Maybe she'll use it in context. I do the blinking game to tell her I love her. Such a sweetie today!

So you plan on breeding them? How soon?? :lol:
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

Well I for sure want to start out small and try my luck with IRns and red bellies, once I get good at that then I will plan to expand with ekkies and greys.:) But I love the ekkies, they have the looks smarts and charm!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I want a gray too surfer. And a gray IRN.

And a 'too

And a grrr, I want one of each!
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Mikaela wrote:I want a gray too surfer. And a gray IRN.

And a 'too

And a grrr, I want one of each!

What's holding ya back woman!! :lol:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My ol'man.

He isnt a pet person and Granny always told me not to trust people that didnt love the earth and pets for they probably have the inability to truly love anything.

Made more sense on the reservation but in the real world some people just dont care for animals, which I, being Cherokee cannot understand.
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

And I not being Cherokee can't understand it either.
But I've got one too. :?

Sue and Nila
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Yikes you girls :( I'm sorry!

I could never love a man who wasn't an animal lover. It's one of my requirements! If he ain't gonna go down to the lake and muck around in the mud to find turtles, fish, and other critters then he ain't for me! God bless my boyfriend :D
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Good for you Missi :D

Sue and Nila
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

However, that being said, I guess I should also add that he is, by far, not the most perfect boyfriend.... :roll:

:lol: