Hi all from Dublin

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

john300

Hi all from Dublin

Post by john300 »

Hi all im john from Ireland just want to say hello to all ,love the site fantastic information. I am not new to birds as i kept finches for several years but i have never kept or owned parrots before. I bought 2 Ring-necks yesterday One is a male pastel colour blue/green colouring and the other im not to sure yet as its only this years bird no ring yet but the bloke i bought it from said he is sure its a female bird,will see in time i guess.I have both birds together in a large Parrot cage in the kitchen for now for me to get to know them and them to know me,don't know whether housing them together is a good thing or not but the shop i got them from they were housed together along with about 10 other birds,Anyways im sure i will be looking for plenty of advise over the coming weeks and months and i know there is plenty people on the site to answer my questions. Thanks for reading John
Wessel Gordon

Re: Hi all from Dublin

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

First of all: we all love pictures of birds so if you could post a couple of your new friends it would be greatly appreciated and then maybe one of our experienced breeders can tell you which mutations you have and if the second bird is indeed female.

There is just one hazard with keeping them together if they are indeed male and female and that's breeding season. Even if you do not intend to breed with them at this point the breeding instinct in most of these birds are incredibly strong and during that time the dynamics between you and the birds will change simply because they will be more focused on other things. So just keep that in mind. Having said that there is a lot more experienced bird-keepers than me on the forum and they might offer you advice on how to avoid the instinct to breed.

Kind regards,

Wessel