Hi everyone!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

hayleyandringo

Hi everyone!

Post by hayleyandringo »

Hello! I have just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Hayley and I am a new owner of Ringo a 6 month old IRN. I only got him yesterday so it has been a pretty quiet time. At the moment he seems very nervous and flaps around his cage whenever I try to go too close. He is eating and drinking and has had some fruit but won't go near me if I am holding it. How long will it take for him to relax? I am talking to him a lot and sitting next to the cage to try and get him used to me. Does anyone have any tips on how to get him used to me?
I think this forum is going to be invaluable for me! I have already found some of the discussions very helpful!
Look forward to talking to you all!
Hayley and Ringo
AJPeter

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by AJPeter »

Welcome Hayley and Ringo
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Afternoon, Hayley and Ringo :)
Patience and time and consistency. Those are the things that are going to get him used to you. Just be in the same room with him, doing your normal daily routine. Don't try to rush him as he will find this to be stressful. Talk to him and be near him, but avoid too much eye contact at first since this is seen as a predatory behavior by them. Find out what his favorite foods are and offer them to him (but don't over-treat him...it's a fine balance). Feed him veggies as well.
Hope this helps a little at least!
Dana
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

determine a food he really likes.. and hole it in his cage for a long time .. while not looking at him... he'll eventually get interested enough to take it...

or keep dropping in tiny tiny pieces... eventually he'll so look forward to the next piece that he will be go toward your hand as you're dropping in the food...... go from there.