Our new IRN is this normal?

Moderator: Mods

Dan84

Our new IRN is this normal?

Post by Dan84 »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday we picked a baby IRN from a lady who didn't have time for him and I have a feeling he has been a bit neglected. She told us she thinks he is around 5-6 weeks but I reckon he could be slightly older, he is perching and manages to get just enough flight to go from one sofa to another. I've had quite a few birds in the past but this is my first IRN. He seems a bit of a scruff to me and I wondered if that is normal? Also in his feathers it looks to me a bit like stress bars, long and short grey blocks of colour, would I be correct? He's completely on formula but this morning he only took a little compared to scoffing it down yesterday. Also his poops seem to be very watery, could that be the formula. As I'm a newbie the forum won't let me post links to the pictures, is there a way I can post them up? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just want the best for this little chap...
Dan84

Re: Our new IRN is this normal?

Post by Dan84 »

The pics I have so far of my little baby are in this album on photobucket, unfortunately I can't post pics up yet because I'm still a new user :P ...

go to photobucket then /user/danman86/library/Ringneck
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Good luck with the eggs. You will have to keep us posted on how they get on.

That's a good idea with the peanut butter, I had not thought of that. So far today I have offered him some broccoli, grape, melon, kiwi fruit, bread and millet spray. He nibbled on all of it and particularly nibbled the bread for ages. It was so cute watching him try and clasp it with his foot and half the time miss and drop it . Looked almost like he was waving :D Most of it went everywhere and he certainly didn't take enough so I have still given him 4 feeds of formula. But at least he seems interested in the solids, that's a start from what I understand. Maybe if I was to give him some soaked seed to play with too? He's also perching and is really flapping his wings and starting to get lift but not actually flying yet, would that be an indication of age too?

Daniel.
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

So I've fed him this morning but he didn't take enough formula that his crop looked full. He's not eating anything else really yet so I'm worried he won't of eaten a sufficient amount, am I over worrying or should I seek out an avian vet do you guys think?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I don't think it is ever a bad thing to call an avian vet if you are worried, especially with a wee baby.
If you post hand feeding questions in the breeding section they will likely be noticed by experienced breeders. This forum is not super active sometimes, so it is best to talk to your vet if you feel it is urgent.
Sorry I can't help, I know nothing about hand feeding birds.
I have reserved a baby who's a similar age and I'm waiting for it's parents to finish doing their job before it comes to live with me. I'm counting down the days!

Regards,
Claire
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Oooh lucky you, good luck. Ok may I shall try a post in the breeding pages, thanks. I am worried and I absolutely will take him I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and am I over worrying as this is the first time I've hand reared an IRN.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Dan I posted on your other thread.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Thanks Skye :)