Just adopted a neglected and abused IR need advice

Moderator: Mods

ashellina

Just adopted a neglected and abused IR need advice

Post by ashellina »

Two days ago I was given a female IR with alot of issues. Missing a toe, very very bad feather condition and a hole in her beak. She is very skinny her eyes do not pin the pupils just stay huge. She has been fed nothing but cockatiel seeds her whole life. She is scared of everything never even had a name. Its the saddest thing I have ever seen. I already have three IR I felt like I had to take her to save her. She is not in the same room as they are. I am making her a vet appt for next week that is the earliest i can get there. I have not given her any seeds and she is eating pellets now. Was suprisingly easy to get her to eat them. She does try fruits and veggies but obviously they are not something she loves. What else can I do for her other than changing her diet and getting her to the vet. Wondering if it is going to be a loosing battle. I really dont feel the need to try and tame her right now my goal is getting her healthy. not sure how to post pictures on here.
SunniDai

Re: Just adopted a neglected and abused IR need advice

Post by SunniDai »

I see you are getting quite a few "views" on this one, but no replies yet. I'm no expert on Ringnecks, but it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction to care for her.
I know this doesn't help, but didn't want you to think you were being ignored.
Dana
~Dana

ashellina

Post by ashellina »

Thank you for your reply. :) I guess I am struggling with trying to save her or the alternative. I know atleast right now she has a home better than she ever had before, living in pure filth and half starved with a woman who admitted she didn't like her at all. She looks so miserable. She is eating and drinking well. Other than to move to eat or drink she doesn't do anything. I named her Grace, I thought she deserved a good name either way it goes. I will just have to wait and see what the vet says.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Thank you for your reply as well. Since she is eating and drinking, she hasn't totally given up on life. Thankfully she found someone who isn't willing to just let her give up either.
Good luck with Grace. :)
Dana
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Ashellina,

Congratulations on your new bird. Offering a good diet and getting vet care are certainly the two most important things for her right now. Only half a step behind, however, must be taking care of her emotional state. You don't say if she has ever had toys, but she should have some now. Start small in case she's scared. Of course, since you have IRN experience, you will know how to help her be as much at ease as is possible at this stage. I'm sure you will know what's right.

With regards to her "losing battle" and trying to "save her or the alternative", just how bad off is she? If she's skinny, she can get fatter. If she's scared, she can learn confidence. Your vet will advise on how to help the most, but since you don't mention any discharges, breaks, sores, lack of coordination, wheezing, constant sleeping, etc, etc, I wonder if there is true reason to feel the situation is so dire. Even if there are symptoms, don't borrow trouble. Wait for the vet's assessment. She may be sitting still because she's scared to move. Don't forget, too, that she doesn't need to be perfect. She can be disfigured or crippled and still live a great life.

If the vet suggests she needs more help than you are prepared to give - and no shame in that- you should consider allowing someone else to take her. I have every confidence there are people here right now reading and saying "I'll take her. She needs me." just as you did. Some of these people will have the experience to do real good. It would be a fine idea to have her tested for communicative diseases regardless.

It's very hard to make a choice, when an animal is sick, whether to push on or recycle their little soul. I do know it is a decision best not made in haste or under duress. You've done a fine thing to take in this bird. If you do your part, she'll do hers.

-MissK
-MissK
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

Hi MissK,
Thank you for your kind words :) She is in a large cage with toys. I have a vet appt scheduled. She just looks like she is in alot of pain, I have no idea how old she is. She does not move and she shakes alot. I understand some of that is fear being in a new place but she is a complete statue most of the time other than the shaking. She does call though when she hears my other ringnecks talking to each other. Her beak being one of my main concerns along with her eyes. Her beak has an eraser sized hole in one nostril with a crack all the way down it and her eyes do not dialate the pupils just stay huge. Its the oddest thing I have seen. I have calmed down about it for the most part and will do what I need to help her. I think in my head I kept asking myself was I being cruel by being kind. I have never seen a bird in this bad of shape personally I cant stand the thought of animals or anyone in pain.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think it is a kindness to remove an animal from an unwholesome environment and substitute a wholesome one. I well understand and support the quarantine. I can only guess it would bring comfort to Grace to see potential flockmates, but that she can hear them and responds, I think, is a very good thing.

I am guessing that the stillness and shaking are mostly fear. If she will accept a cover on the cage, you might try draping just a part, so she can seek a hiding space if she wants.

The beak damage is disturbing, without doubt, but the vet may be able to make some repair or at least halt any further damage. I understand it is quite scary, but it sounds like she is able to eat anyway, and that is really what she needs that beak for. I imagine it would be a good idea to evaluate whether chewing hard things is likely to increase the damage, from the physical stresses involved. Perhaps until the vet she should get chewables made of softer cardboard, rather than wood?

Keep us posted!

-MissK
-MissK
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I will keep you updated. Thank you so much for your advice. I will try the cover part way and see if that helps her.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Just one thing to add cause MissK covered it mostly...because she is underweight, she doesn't have sufficient muscle mass or body fat to keep her body temp stable. I would cover her cage on three sides if shell accept it and place a heating pad on warm near to where she perches. Or if you don't mind the cost you could get a thermal perch. Other than that, you should be extremely proud for rescuing this precious creature. There are many things you and your vet can do to make her quality of life good for her. Please don't give up on her. BTW...what did you name her?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I hadn't thought of that and very possible. I have to run by the petstore tonight anyway I will look into the heated perch. Thank you so much! I named her "Grace". :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Perfect name :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

I definitely did not think of heat - good call!

-MissK
-MissK
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I would not have thought of that either! Thank you both!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Group effort :D