pied

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

pied

Post by angeldc77 »

I just got a blue dominant pied, and the areas that are not lacking melanin seem to be a lighter shade of blue. Does this mutation lighten the color of the bird in general as well as giving it white marks/spots?
trabots

Re: pied

Post by trabots »

angeldc77 wrote:I just got a blue dominant pied, and the areas that are not lacking melanin seem to be a lighter shade of blue. Does this mutation lighten the color of the bird in general as well as giving it white marks/spots?
I had to quit a mutation line for reasons of space. I chose to not concentrate on Blue series Dom Pieds for that reason, it bleaches most of the colour out of Blue birds. Also in TurquoiseBlues, the backs look like scrambled eggs with not much in the way of blue colours at all. IMO not very pretty birds. I much prefer the recessive Pieds which seem to retain the darkness of colour, unfortunately they are not available in Oz.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:I much prefer the recessive Pieds which seem to retain the darkness of colour, unfortunately they are not available in Oz.
Wish I could help you out with some!

But it also depends with recessive ADM pieds. We have in our collecting a wide variety. You mentioned a bird you don't like that I like very much (scrambled eggs), and because taste differs, we cater for that. If you have a very heavy recessive pied bird (reversed pied), after their 15 month molt they start getting back melanin, but not all. I have a mature heavy blue pied cock that looks like a blue cinnamon and is very light in colour. My dad has a mature blue pied cock with pure white flights that looks almost like a normal blue. So the variety does also exist for recessive ADM pied.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

So the answer is yes, dominant pied does lighten the overall color. Will she get more or less pied markings as she matures, or will it stay the same? I know you guys mentioned that in the recessive pied melanin comes back to varying degrees. Does the same hold true for dominant pieds? Or can I expect more pied markings with more melanin being blocked as she gets older?