just a quick question about beak rubbing

Moderator: Mods

Fidgit_Green

just a quick question about beak rubbing

Post by Fidgit_Green »

now i know that IRNs will rub their beaks on things for sense what they are so on,
and i know that they rub their beaks on something after they have been eating, i assume that is to get anything that might be stuck to their beak from eating.
if i have given Fidgit a treat or something little while ive got him with my on the bed, he will quite often come and rub his beak up and down my nose. (i assume that is a little more than just cleaning it off)(well i hope it is anyway).

but what i have posted this for is, last night i made up a necklace with bead, bells, buttons ect, that i could wear for him to play with, so today he has been having a hell of a go at it and for the last couple of hours he has just been interested in chewing the string that i use for it, but he has been sitting on my shoulder chewing the string and at the same time has been rubbing his beak up and down the side of my face (and the front of my face when i turn to look at him, i even nearly got poked in the eye by the tip of his beak at one point).
so i guess the question is, whats with him rubbing his beak on my face while he is chewing on the string?
he hasnt done it before today after i made the necklace for him.
i even wear my own permanent necklace that he chews on sometimes, but has never rubbed his beak against me like this.

so does anyone have any ideas?

cheers
Skyes_crew

Re: just a quick question about beak rubbing

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey fidgit....I've been told before that this is a territorial gesture. Your bird is marking you in a way only birds would understand. It's quite affectionate if you ask me. I love when my birds do it :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

yea i love the way fidgit does it to my nose, i think its cute.
but when he was doing it to the side of my face while chewing the string, it was almost like he was trying to chew on my face aswell as rubbing his beak, but im not sure. it was a little sore at times.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay rubs his beak on my nose after a kissy session.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is fidgit a boy? I know what you're talking about I think. And Skye just started doing the same to me. Except he tries to do it with my lip. He starts off rubbing his beak and then starts catching the tip playfully on my lip. It's cute till it gets sore lol.

Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

yea he is a boy,
yes it is cute until it hurts, the higher he tries to rub up my face the more his head tilts back
so that the tip of his beak can catch, thats how he nearly poked me in the eye trying to rub up
the side of my nose.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I know exactly what you're talking about then. My Skye does it. I usually give him another toy to chew on when he starts hurting me.