lacewing question

Moderator: Mods

nalukaikamahine

lacewing question

Post by nalukaikamahine »

I swear, I must be dumb, because I just can not figure out that genetic calculator. :oops:

Male: Turquoise Grey
Female: Blue Lacewing

What would I end up with?

Also, does it matter if the sexes were reversed?

Female: Turquoise Grey
Male: Blue Lacewing

Sorry all, I know this forum is filled to the brim with these sorts of questions, but I just can't figure it out.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

trabots

Re: lacewing question

Post by trabots »

I have addressed the Gencalc problem with Martin as to how it treats alleles, he responded eventually but does not seem to have the time or desire to make it logical in this regard. Gen Calc is much easier to use than Wynand's and others except for this one issue with heteroalleles like TurquoiseBlue and PallidIno. I suggested that he logically treat each tick circle as a single gene, after all that is what a bird has for a mutation, 1 or 2 genes (except sex linked hens of course which can only have one). Instead of having to treat a TurquoiseBlue as having an impossible 3 genes you just tick it as having one of each of a Blue gene and Turquoise gene, as is the case. Currently for TurquoiseBlue you tick Turquoise as visual (having 2 genes, not) and split for Blue. I also haven't a clue why there are 2 choices ('x1,x2') for split sex linked males. Anybody?

So for your problem:

Turquoise Grey I presume you mean TurquoiseBlue Grey (exactly why we should all use df Turquoise and Turquoise) you tick SF for Grey, 'visual' for Turquoise and 'splits to' for Blue.

Blue Lacewing you mean Blue Pallid. Visual for Blue and visual for Pallid.

% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

trabots wrote:I also haven't a clue why there are 2 choices ('x1,x2') for split sex linked males. Anybody?
I've thought about this before, and the only thing I can come up with is to have a 'pedigree' of sorts- a stacked list of your bloodlines--otherwise x1 and x2 serve no other purpose but to let you know which of the grandparents (of future clutch) from said bird, that particular gene was inherited from.

Naluka: here is the reversal for you:

1.0 blue pallid
x 0.1 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid
nalukaikamahine

Post by nalukaikamahine »

Thanks so much.

Pallid is the technical term for lacewing.

Can someone explain what INO means?
Ugh. I'm so bad at this stuff. lol
Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

nalukaikamahine wrote:Thanks so much.

Pallid is the technical term for lacewing.

Can someone explain what INO means?
Ugh. I'm so bad at this stuff. lol
Pallid IS the correct term- 'lacewing' is the old outdated term, but for some it seems to have stuck ;)

Ino examples:
Green + Ino = Lutino
Blue + Ino = Albino
Recio

Post by Recio »

sheyd wrote:
trabots wrote:I also haven't a clue why there are 2 choices ('x1,x2') for split sex linked males. Anybody?
I've thought about this before, and the only thing I can come up with is to have a 'pedigree' of sorts- a stacked list of your bloodlines--otherwise x1 and x2 serve no other purpose but to let you know which of the grandparents (of future clutch) from said bird, that particular gene was inherited from.
Each choice (x1 or x2) is related to the linkage type:
Linkage type 1 (both genes in the same chromossome)
Linkage type 2 (both genes in different chromossomes)

Recio
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Willy, this is where you're crossing over comes into play. The simplest example to grasp is with ino and cinnamon, which are extremely hard to cross over in the first place. So, how can you breed a male that splits for both ino and cinnamon? In two ways.

Option 1:
green ino x green cinnamon (or green cinnamon x green ino).

Here, one mutant gene is inherited from each parent. This offspring male will be used to breed a hen where crossing over occurs.

Option 2:
green x green cinnamon-ino

Here both mutant genes are inherited from a single parent, i.e. the mother is a bird where cinnamon and ino has crossed over.

If two different mutations occurs in the same chromosome, this becomes important. Also what we see with dark and blue, and I suspect with grey and "bronze" fallow. I'm not sure why they distinguish between this X1/X2 and T1/T2, as they do the same thing. Probably because X1/X2 occurs on the Z-chromosome (sex-linked).
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Option 1:
green ino x green cinnamon (or green cinnamon x green ino).

Here, one mutant gene is inherited from each parent. This offspring male will be used to breed a hen where crossing over occurs.

Option 2:
green x green cinnamon-ino

Here both mutant genes are inherited from a single parent, i.e. the mother is a bird where cinnamon and ino has crossed over.
That was a really good explaination. I read that other thread discussing crossing over and just did not understand--this really helps.