Questions for a Breeder

Moderator: Mods

vatalicious

Questions for a Breeder

Post by vatalicious »

Hello everyone,

I was hoping I can get some feedback. I just talked to the breeder and I will be picking out my Blue IRN in the next two weeks. They are currently being hand fed now. When meeting with him I want to make sure that I'm asking the right questions. I feel like I may miss some crucial information if I don't plan beforehand. Any information given would be greatly appreciated.

If I do consider to breed my bird in the future, are their certain things I should be asking about the birds lineage?

What I do know that I will be asking is:

What is it's hatch date?
How long has it been eating on it's own?

Also, I'm leaning towards Harrison's High Potency Fine food for my baby. I would like to stick to all natural/organic food along with veggies and fruit. Also minimal amounts of seed for training only. Any recommendations or suggestions about the food would really help also.
Melika

Re: Questions for a Breeder

Post by Melika »

As for food I think feeding any pellet or seed is fine as long as they are eating lots of veggies and fruits.

I realise you probably already have your birdy but for future people who might use the Search function and find this post, I will answer anyway.

What method of weaning was used?
What foods was the baby weaned onto?
What diet is he/she eating now? (a good breeder will give you enough for a few days of feeding)

For breeding: How many chicks were in the clutch? How many survived- any birth defects? Any eggs that didn't hatch?

If you are going to breed I would recommend a bird that was parent-raised. Personally I feel they are more successful and apt to be good layers, setters, and feeders. I also feel that the first clutch of a pair should be raised by the parents, but this is personal opinion.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
vatalicious

Re: Questions for a Breeder

Post by vatalicious »

Melika wrote:As for food I think feeding any pellet or seed is fine as long as they are eating lots of veggies and fruits.

I realise you probably already have your birdy but for future people who might use the Search function and find this post, I will answer anyway.

What method of weaning was used?
What foods was the baby weaned onto?
What diet is he/she eating now? (a good breeder will give you enough for a few days of feeding)

For breeding: How many chicks were in the clutch? How many survived- any birth defects? Any eggs that didn't hatch?

If you are going to breed I would recommend a bird that was parent-raised. Personally I feel they are more successful and apt to be good layers, setters, and feeders. I also feel that the first clutch of a pair should be raised by the parents, but this is personal opinion.
Thank you for your response. I'm visiting my bird this weekend but he should be ready to come by the end of this month.

This was really helpful! Wish me luck :D