tell me about 'Pastel'

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

tell me about 'Pastel'

Post by sheyd »

During my journeys browsing this site, I'd occasionally stumble across the word 'Pastel' not being used instead of Turquoise (as some countries like to do).

Example: a bird with faded green more towards yellow than that of a normal wildtype green (not the amount of deposits, but the actual colour of the deposits), so the bird would be called a 'Pastel'
hope I've explained this properly...

-Does it really exist?
-If so, how/why does this phenomenon occur?

cheers

Edit*of course I can't find the post/topic now that I want to, am beginning to think there's no such thing
Last edited by sheyd on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan S

Re: tell me about 'Pastel'

Post by Johan S »

Chocobo,

I think when talking about 'pastel' as being a half turquoise, the meaning is that it is the indigo morphotype of the parblue series. The real pastel mutation is an allele of the a-locus. This is where NSLino, bronze fallow and dark eyed clear (DEC) is also sitting. That is 4 different mutations of the same gene. The big confusion is probably that indigo shows about 50% psittacin reduction, while the pastel mutation is a dark eyed bird with a 50% melanin reduction.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:Chocobo,

I think when talking about 'pastel' as being a half turquoise, the meaning is that it is the indigo morphotype of the parblue series. The real pastel mutation is an allele of the a-locus. This is where NSLino, bronze fallow and dark eyed clear (DEC) is also sitting. That is 4 different mutations of the same gene. The big confusion is probably that indigo shows about 50% psittacin reduction, while the pastel mutation is a dark eyed bird with a 50% melanin reduction.
Ah, thankyou- this clears it up perfectly. I was confusing Psittacin with Melanin (I meant Melanin) - will alter original post so no more confusion.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Chocobo

This is 100% correct. Pastel is an allele of the a-locus with about 50% reduction in melanin, recessive inheritance, a form of albinism and therefore sometimes affect the feet and nails, but it has a normal eye colour.

We (Johan, Stefan, Recio and I) discussed Nsl ino, pastel and bronze fallow in detail the past year or two. I bred diluted (cinnamon like but more grey than brown) normal eye IRN babies from a pair of birds that were bought as split bronze fallow. With all the confusion about bronze fallow, dun fallow and pale fallow in South Africa this pastel mutation just added more confusion. Tests with Nsl ino this 2013 season will proof if the birds are pastel or not. It is a phenotype close to bronze fallow, somewhat grey and darker with a normal eye.

indigoblue pastel (breeding 15 month hen)

indigoblue bronze fallow (15 month hen)

See comparison of the above 2 hens when they were 4 months old

indigoblue bronze fallow vs indigoblue pastel 4 months old)

indigoblue bronze fallow & indigoblue pastel. This is the same 2 hens 1 year later

Notice how close these 2 mutations are in phenotype.

Tienie
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

wow, very close aren't they? Thanks for the pics- will be interested in your breeding results this season

regards, Shey.