Hi New to this site

Moderator: Mods

missybubbygirl

Hi New to this site

Post by missybubbygirl »

Hi All
What a great site you have here, I have 4 IRN 2 blue males 1 yellow hen and a white hen [ will post pic's later ] the blue and white ones come into my aviary just under 2 weeks ago, the blue male I already had here has hit it of with the white hen he is courting her [yesterday] throwing his head back, bobbing up and down and going over to the nesting box and tapping on it, the hen yesterday started to go into the nesting box, how long does the courting go on before the mate? I want to change there nesting boxes as the ones I have in there are old and were used by the budgies when I was breeding them, do I have time to change them? will it stop the courting?.

I live in South Australia and this is my first time breeding IRN, and advice would be appreciated.
Thank You

Just went to fill there seed tray up and notice he is feeding her :D
missybubbygirl

Re: Hi New to this site

Post by missybubbygirl »

17 lookers and no reply :shock:
rod038

Re: Hi New to this site

Post by rod038 »

They can mate as soon as they are put together if it is breeding time or they may want to bond first so you dont really know. Sounds like yours are ready. Change the boxes as Budgie boxes are way to small plus there is a chance of disease by letting pairs share nest boxes. The nest boxes should go with the pair not the cage. Place some nesting matierial in the bottom of the box which they will move around or even throw out. Keep the marierial damp as the humidity helps with the hatching chicks. If they throw it out place in more. I use Euchy Mulch which you can buy in bags at Bunnings for about $8. Increase there food and they should breed for you if they are old enough. Be carefull if both pairs are in the same avairy as the hens most likely will fight or try to go into the others nest box. Ringnecks are best 1 pair to a cage will double wiring between if the cages join. They can get on all year but come breeding time they can turn nasty.