Out of the blue!

Moderator: Mods

McmillanBirds

Out of the blue!

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi all
I know this is an IRN site but I need advice regarding my pair of white capped pionus'. On monday when I fed them they were all happy go lucky, yesterday when I went out both of them were in their breeding box for the first time, but they spent the whole day in there, and today when I went out to put a box up in one of my IRNs aviaries I noticed the female was still in the box but the male was out. Upon further inspection we notived he had a piece of wood shaving in his eye and it is swollen and red, he has a little hole in his beak and blood at the backs of his legs. The only thing I can think of is the female had a good go at him although no signs of aggression before today. Always grooming each other etc. Has anyone ever heard of pionus' killing their mates? Or was it a fluke thing? Any advice would be great!
Many thanks
Carmen
sanjays mummi

Re: Out of the blue!

Post by sanjays mummi »

I do'nt know the answer but I can advise on treating the eye, a drop of vitamin A oil twice a day, it comes in capsules, heals a scratched cornea rapidly.
McmillanBirds

Re: Out of the blue!

Post by McmillanBirds »

A little update:

His eye is doing much better and his wounds have healed beautifully, I have discovered it was not his mate that attacked him. She came out of the box to eat and he still protected her and groomed her. We have had a lot of hawks, eagles and owls flying around lately so I assume 1 decided to try eat 1 of them and he protected his avairy.

Thanks sanjays mummi for the bit of advice

Regards
Carmen