Ear nibbling

Moderator: Mods

xOmar

Ear nibbling

Post by xOmar »

My ringneck has a tendency of biting my ears whilst on my shoulders. He doesn't always do it but it really does bother me as I try not to react to it. Can anyone give me any tips on how to stop the habit? Thanks
ellieelectrons

Re: Ear nibbling

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi xOmar

I hope someone can give you a tip here... but for me I have two birds and I more or less avoid having one of them on my shoulder for that reason... that's the only way I can prevent it.

I think it's very natural for them to bite ears because of the way they stick out on our heads... it's just too tempting!

Ellie.
xOmar

Post by xOmar »

I think putting biting toys in his cage has helped a bit. At least I'm not the only one with the problem
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

I think most bird "nibble" on ears at some point or another. Try removing the bird every time they do it and maybe eventually they will get the message. ??

Kim
xOmar

Post by xOmar »

So long as its not any "aggressive" biting then I'm ok with it. He'll just have to learn that I don't like what he's doing.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, I have one bird that nibbles ears and I let him on my shoulder and another that bites ears really hard (usually only if she's worked up), so I try not to let her on my shoulder at all.

Ellie.