How to tell?

Moderator: Mods

Charliee

How to tell?

Post by Charliee »

I have a question, i just recently got two females in hopes one would take a liking to my bird Charliee.

We have set the cages side by side for a little less then a week now and today my boyfriend decided he had an idea. (the girls payed interest with none stop trying to talk to him.)

So my boyfriend put both cages with up against each other and opened the doors, but pushing the cages together so he/she's could meet each other and explore so forth. So when we did they popped their heads through the doors like they were playing peekaboo. After 5 mins the male slowly hops through the door into the females cage, the blue indian ringneck. (Bluie) Was keen! She hopped straight in front of him. And as soon as she did that, Charliee started doing these weird moves I've never seen him do. He was bobbing his head up and down like he was bowing and opening his wings just the slightest. After the show was over for the next half an hour both girls got to explore his cage and he got to explore hers, it became quite clear who Charliee was interested in when Bluie came up to Charliee and was giving him "Kisses" Connecting their beaks in a non-agressive way. So we swapped cages, we put sunshine into Charliee's cage and Charliee into Bluies/sunshines cage.

Now i feel bad because Sunshine is going to be lonely.

How long will i know until/if they bond? (Bluie and Charliee)
.Welcome To The Forum.
ellieelectrons

Re: How to tell?

Post by ellieelectrons »

The "weird moves" are part of the male mating ritual to try and attract a female. I'd say your birds have bonded... but it's a good idea to keep an eye on them for a bit. Sounds like you've had a relatively angst free introduction. Well done!

Just watch to make sure there's no aggression especially around the food. Do they feed each other?

Ellie.
Charliee

Re: How to tell?

Post by Charliee »

ellieelectrons wrote:The "weird moves" are part of the male mating ritual to try and attract a female. I'd say your birds have bonded... but it's a good idea to keep an eye on them for a bit. Sounds like you've had a relatively angst free introduction. Well done!

Just watch to make sure there's no aggression especially around the food. Do they feed each other?

Ellie.

They aren't aggressive at all, i was hand feeding them grapes a few hours ago, haha ^^.
Umm. Not yet, ehehe. Although the blue one did it to her friend, sunshine. They will be inside soon, but ill keep a close eye. The meeting only lasted 30 mins, which I'm happy.

Thank you :D

(although I'm not expecting them to mate anytime soon, although as soon as the male got into her cage first thing he checked out was the breeding box, weird huh? And she wouldn't leave him alone. So cute)!
.Welcome To The Forum.