Cage Rage?

Moderator: Mods

winsomesmom

Cage Rage?

Post by winsomesmom »

Hi,
I just brought my IRN home 2 weeks ago from the breeder. She is about 12 weeks old now. Lola is super sweet when she is out of her cage. She will eat from your hand, step up and just hang out on my shoulder. The only problem is that she seems to have cage rage whenever she is in her cage. She systematically goes around her cage trying to find a way out...she does this with what seems like anger or frustration. She never grooms herself inside her cage, either. She will only do that when she is sitting on top of her cage. We do have her out several times per day for at last an hour each time....sometimes longer. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
claire31

Re: Cage Rage?

Post by claire31 »

Our IRN Ollie is about 20weeks old now we got HER (we think) when she was 10 weeks old shes quite social but also suffers from cage rage. Its her territory so we dont invade her space until shes ready, after 10 weeks we just open the door now and if shes happy for us to put our hands in to get her she will lift a foot otherwise we just let her come out at her own pace. I have perches attached to the outside and put a length of sisal rope with knots spaced on it which clips to the top of the door opening and attached to the bottom of the cage so she can climb out easily. I was a bit nervous of her bites and swoops and she knew that so i got myself a thinnish pair of gardening gloves which gave me the confidence and now i hardly have to wear them. she is in her cage whilst we are at work mon-fri but out of it at most times we are here with her. she is now learning to step off my shoulder on command. I've learnt be quietly insistent with her and ignore if she doesnt work everytime. Hope that helps
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Our female beats up on her toys in her cage quite regularly. I think it's a cry for attention. I try not to reward this behaviour though or it encourages more of it.

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

It seems that cage based aggression seems to be more of a female behaviour in Ringnecks as well as other species and my female is not any different.

She is fine in the cage until you approach and then she makes displays, bluffs, and shows me what she can do with that beak by thrashing her wooden perch because this is her nest.

When I open the door she calms down and most times I can reach in and she will jump or climb to my hand although I have to be aware of her state of mind as every once in a while she will lunge and bite and she hits hard.

She is a different bird out of the cage... she will perch happily on my shoulder, make short flights, visit with my daughter, and when I pick her up she does not mind being handled bodily and given a little cuddle.

She is 9 years old and has always been this way... could be a behaviour that is so hard wired that there is no way to train it out of her and as she is generally a pleasant bird it is not really a problem.

She goes back in her cage when asked and always reminds me that this is her space even though we may have spent a good deal of positive time together... she usually stops this when I close the door.