Courting Behavior?

Moderator: Mods

jubbin2001

Courting Behavior?

Post by jubbin2001 »

So my new IRNs are doing some odd behavior, which I believe to be a courting ritual. The male will coo at the female, and then bob up and down with his wings partially out. The female will reciprocate the action, but she does it hanging upside down from the top if the cage. They also have been spending a lot of time feeding each other. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I have a video I just shot, so I will try to post it up. Thanks all.
Justin
jubbin2001

Re: Courting Behavior?

Post by jubbin2001 »

Ok So I uploaded the video on youtube. Since I don't have my 25 posts yet, I will just say do a search for jbpcimg, it will come up with kid kills door, but thats an old video, just click on the channel and it should show up.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

put up a nest box
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

mikeb wrote:put up a nest box
providing you want to breed them that is... :)

Ellie.
jubbin2001

Post by jubbin2001 »

I am not quite sure on the whole breeding yet. I mean the birds have been in my house for 48 hours, and I am not sure if I am ready to take that on just yet. I guess I will see how things pan out and go from there. Thanks for the replies.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

If you don't want to breed them, then you can let them go on courting and mating if it goes that far... there is no harm in that. Usually they won't produce eggs unless you provide them with nesting materials... although in some cases they do.

Ellie.
jubbin2001

Post by jubbin2001 »

Good to know, thanks for the info. How long does courting normally last? Or isn't there really a set time frame?