Hi, Charlie and I are new here

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

andelainwelshcobs

Hi, Charlie and I are new here

Post by andelainwelshcobs »

Well I quess I am here to learn a little more about Charlie who I have had for almost 2 yrs now.
It took me around 9 months to tame him to my touch and he had learned to talk and laugh a lot sooner I can assure you. He has resided in a large cage for awhile and I have been able to pat him and scratch him with his confidence. Recently my sister and I carried him inside to allow him to fly around and he has been a delight very affectionate. However when we had visitors he became quite aggressive raising his neck feathers, is this because he feels threatened?
Just curious to know the answer to this Charlie is still being affectionate to me and seems to have gotton over his aggression.
Cheers Nadie.
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi, Charlie and I are new here

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think this is probably a protective response. Your bird is bonded to you and doesn't want harm to come to you and he is probably scared of your visitors.

Welcome to the forum.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hiya Nadie, welcome to the bird nut clan. :D
andelainwelshcobs

Post by andelainwelshcobs »

Thank you for the response and making me feel welcome, I think you are right about Charlie he I believe became over whelmed and defensive. I will keep him in his cage whilst there are visitors about.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You could try having your friends give him his favorite treat (through the cage bars is fine) so that when new people come over the bird begins to associate treats with new humans.
If he is too scared to take it from their hand, let them put it in his food bowl.

Ellie.