Drinking habits

Moderator: Mods

melindaott

Drinking habits

Post by melindaott »

Hi there

My male IRN drinks excessive amounts of water. We don't know if it may be just showing off or what. He get fresh water daily and can't wait for the new water to be put in his cage. He will sit there next to the water and drink as if he had never seen water before.

Can it be that it is due to a condition that he is suffering of and that we are not aware of? I don't know wheter then can maybe become diabetic like humans....? That is the one of the first signs of diabetes in humans...drinking of large volumes of water.

I must add that his...poop... is quite watery as well but that is probably due to all the water that he is drinking.

Can anyone please tell me if they have the same "problem".

Melinda

P.S. By the way... His name is Trompie. He is turning 18 in October... :D
Melika

Re: Drinking habits

Post by Melika »

Here's an interesting topic from a different bird forum. http://www.anafricangrey.ca/forum/topic ... uch-water/

Basically it could be one of or a combination of things (here are some):
  • psychological
  • too much salt
  • too much sugar
  • renal (kidney) problems
  • diabetes
  • gout
  • infection
  • parasite
  • tumor
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
melindaott

Post by melindaott »

Thank you!

Hopefully it is not so serious... I'll try and have it checked out and put up a post if I find out anything...

:)
Melika

Post by Melika »

The easiest things, and less worrisome, are the first three I think. I hope it isn't any of the others either. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay