Help with my new IRN PLZZZ

Moderator: Mods

Tellytoot1

Help with my new IRN PLZZZ

Post by Tellytoot1 »

Hi, My name is Chasity and i'm currently the new owner of a baby IRN. He or she is about 3 months old. I have some experience with birds but never an IRN. The first day Telly arrived. Thats His or Her name. lol Telly seemed very afraid of me. I kept handling Telly and hand feeding Telly as well. He grew a lilttle closer but not much. I have had him/her since he was about 2 months old. He just went through a biting stage for about 3 days and i ignored it like it didn't faze me. The truth is i just dont think he or she wants to bond with me. Telly gets on my finger when asked to step up but soon flys away. My question is, Is should i go retreive him each time he flys off so i can spend that quality time with him or should i just let him be? I want to make sure he stays a hand tamed bird but i cant do that if is always flying away from me. So confused. I have 2 other lovebirds that he loves dearly. Just not me :( Please help me so that i can be the best mommy to Telly. Thanks so much Chasity Talbot.
ellieelectrons

Re: Help with my new IRN PLZZZ

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi chastity

Welcome to the forum. I'd like to encourage you. I think you will win him over. We have two IRNs:Janey and Charlie. When we brought Janey home she was handraised and six weeks old. She was weaned and had just started to fly. She bonded to us immediately.

Charlie on the other hand was about three months old and hand raised but was extremely scared of us when we brought him home. The bonding process took much longer and he was more attached to an IRN we were babysitting over Christmas and Janey than us. However, we eventually won him over and although it took s while because he was hand raised it didn't take too long, probably a few months. Now he is very tame, does tricks and talks a lot. He doesn't like to be pet though. His attachment to janey is stronger than his attachment to us but I think that's how it should be. He still likes spending time with us.

What I want to tell you is that I think Charlie is the better adjusted bird and I think it's because we got him older. Charlie knows he's a bird but likes spending time with us too. Janey thinks she's a person and gets extremely agitated when we are around. To be honest, although when janey was a baby it was precious time, I think she may have been better off if we got her slightly older.

We tamed charlie by having short training sessions with him every day. I tried not to force him into anything (although I probably did do this a few times). I worked with food rewards whilst he was in his cage to start with and then out of his cage. Initially he was scared of our hands so i started giving him treats from a baby spoon from the supermarket ( which initially he was also scared of but slightly less scared of than hands) Eventually he would accept food from the spoon and I gradually moved my hand up the spoon until he wasn't scared of my hand any more and then I started offering treats from my hand. Once he was accepting treats I trained him to do turnarounds on cue. Trick training is a great way to bond you and your bird.

I hope that all makes sense. I believe with gentle training you should be able to win him over. We were really shocked when we brought charlie home because we expected that a handmaids bird would be automatically tame.

Oh, I also forgot to say that Charlie had clipped wings but if your bird doesn't have clipped wings and you don't want to clip them, that can make it a bit harder but I believe you can still achieve it.

Good luck and best wishes

Ellie.