How Long???

Moderator: Mods

ahilt11

How Long???

Post by ahilt11 »

In general, how long does it take from the time a pair of mature Ringnecks are put together until the first egg? I have a 10-11 year old male and a 4-5 year old female. I put them together exactly 3 weeks ago today. They are very affectionate towards each other. The female spends quite a bit of time in her nest box and the male also spends time inside the nest box with her. The female is eating on her cuttlebone frequently and also is eating her bird food as well as fresh fruits and vegetables.

This is my first attempt at breeding. Any information, ideas, suggestion, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so, so much!
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: How Long???

Post by ringneck »

Hello

To answer your question, it all depends on the Indian Ringnecks. When placed together, most ringnecks, during breeding season will start to court each other around two weeks. Usually a good sign of this is when the female starts working the nesting box. This means the female is ready to breed and she is willing to accept a mate. Some Indian ringneck breeders will place the male into the cage once the female has started working the box. I however, keep my pairs house together year round.

I would say you are off to a good start. If the male and female are feeding each other, then the female has most likely accepted him. In this event, usually eggs can be expected about two weeks later. You should give them privacy and there should be little noise in their environment during breeding. It's great that you're giving them cuttle-bone as this really helps for extra calcium. Keep giving those vegetables like you mentioned and try adding some pellets into the cages as well.

Congratulations on your first round of breeding. Please do more research on the form as there is lots of information here. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We wish you the best of luck my friend.

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C