Help! He's in love!

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Help! He's in love!

Post by rosemaryalice »

My 2 newest irns are getting along well. Starting to sleep next to each other now he is dancing and picking at the feathers on the back of her head. The coldest part of our winter is ahead and I am thinking I should wait until early Spring before giving them a nest box. We are in the Sierra Nevada Foothills and get some snow in the winter. They are in flight cages with plastic sheeting covering them on the screen porch and avitemp heaters but I worry about them breeding at this time of the year because of the cold. Is it ok to make them wait by not giving them a nest box? He is an older proven breeder and she is a 2 year old female. I know breeders in this area at a slightly lower elevation with outdoor aviaries breed at this time of the year.
SCB -SA

Re: Help! He's in love!

Post by SCB -SA »

There is nothing wrong with making them wait, leave them to bond whilst it is winter and as soon as spring hits, up with the nest box! it is unkind to give them a box now as any babies bred in winter have a lower chance of survival due to the cold, unless you intend removing the fertile eggs, incubating and raising from day one (which some people do, although it it not very common!) Rather let them wait, it will not harm them in any way. :)
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Thx, for the good advice. I am just really happy they like each other since he is the blue cinnamon and she is the violet green/blue I think they will really produce some beautiful babies. I am hoping to move them to walk in aviaries for each pair by spring so they will have even more room.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

That sounds lovely, am hoping to have a bigger aviary for my albino and rainbow by end of this summer. Mine i have left thier box as they arent really interested in each other, but took it out for a few months and didnt worry them at all. :-)