2 newest IRNs in same cage

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

2 newest IRNs in same cage

Post by rosemaryalice »

I just put my 2 newest IRNs in the same cage. Its a larger one than either one had before. They have been next to each other for a few weeks and I decided to try putting them together. He is a blue cinnamon aviary bird 10 years old, she is a violet green 2 years old, also an aviary bird. The cage is 3 feet wide, 5 feet high and 2 feet deep. I did it this afternoon and they are sleeping peacefully tonight. I watched them until it got too dark to see them and they seem to be exploring their new cage and both ate before getting ready to settle in for the night. They have separate food and water dishes with the same things in them. They only scolded each other when they bumped into each other a couple of times. They are in the screen porch with a panel heater and they are covered with plastic sheeting. I have another pair out there that are doing well and several other kinds of birds in other flight cages. I am hoping to get walk in aviaries out there by this Spring. I am hoping they will get along as I want to breed them this Spring I am keeping a close eye on them in case they fight. Wish me luck!
ellieelectrons

Re: 2 newest IRNs in same cage

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good luck! I hope they continue to get along.

Ellie.
rosemaryalice

Re: 2 newest IRNs in same cage

Post by rosemaryalice »

So far so good. They have calmed down and sit on the same perch 3 or 4 inches apart and they aren't fighting at all. I am still keeping an eye on them. I am hoping they will become a breeding pair since the colors are right to produce some great babies including violets. I won't give them a nest box for a while because we are coming into the coldest part of winter here. Any advice?