Rainbow and albino pair... SO EXCITED!

Moderator: Mods

SCB -SA

Rainbow and albino pair... SO EXCITED!

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi guys please could you post some pics of rainbow male and female and the colour offspring a albino hen and rainbow male would produce.... My b-day tomorrow and going to look at the above mentioned pair, they are 4 years old....
So excited! My first breeding pair!!
ellieelectrons

Re: Rainbow and albino pair... SO EXCITED!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Pardon my ignorance... but what does a rainbow look like? I've never heard of that.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Maybe you know it as a different name i am not sure? i have only seen one once, thats why im asking for pics to refresh my memory, i think this is rainbow in the pic (if it attaches I am new here)
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Congratulations and good luck with the breeding. I am getting a green violet in a couple of weeks to breed with my blue cinnamon next year. It is really exciting to get new ones and hard to stop adding them! that will make 4!
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

Ellie: Rainbow = pastel = turquoise.

:D
I love both colors of your breeding pair!
Though I don't know exactly what color offspring they'll produce.

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Rainbow is a bird displaying an incomplete lutino mutation (phenotype pallid) and an incomplete blue mutation (phenotype turquoise) ... it is a pallid-turquoise. From a genetical point of view it is more complicated:
1. Pallids: it is a sex linked mutation ... so:
Males can be: homozygous pallid or heterozygous pallid-ino
Females can only be pallid.
2. Turquoise is a recesive mutation with 3 alleles, so males and females can be:
Homozygous turquoise (turquoise-turquoise)
Heterozygous: turquoise-blue (turquoise-acqua looks like acqua since acqua is dominant over turquoise). A pallid-aqcua bird should not be called rainbow since it lacks the turquoise patch marks.
All these different possibilities give a great array of genetic background for the same phenotype (rainbow or pallid-turquoise)

I hope it is clear

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Recio, so is the above pic correct? or what colour is that? thanks
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The pic is right. It is a rainbow or pallid turquoise male, but it can be build up of several different genetic combinations as explained above. The only way to know his genetic background is to know his parents and/or his offspring.

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi all, so what would i get if i paired my blue female with the rainbow and my albino with my green (mother is yellow and fathr golden cherry), what is best to pair rainbow with to get different colours?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

What do you call golden cherry? Could you post a pic?

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hi here you go this is what we call golden cherry also if anyone could advise what colour babies the albino and rainbow would give, if in their last clutch of 5, three were blue rainbow with 2 normal rainbow. could i ever get albino chicks?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

After a little research it seems that the names golden cherry, golden mustard and golden olive are used, depending on countries, to name the grey-green-cinnamon mutation.

I have one of these birds and it really does not look like the pic you show, with yellow marks on the wings and legs. In fact that is the first pic you get when tapping golden cherry ringneck images in google, but it is not the right one.

Pairing rainbow male (pallid-Sf turquoise-blue) x blue female:

Males :
50.0% 1.0 blue /pallid bl/bl;ino+/inopd;
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid bltq/bl;ino+/inopd;
Females:
50.0% 0.1 blue pallid bl/bl;inopd/Y;
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid bltq/bl;inopd/Y;

Pairing: albino (blue-ino) X green .... it depends which one is the male and which one is the female since ino is sex linked.

What to pair with a rainbow to get full of colours in the offspring? A bird split to the colours building up your rainbow (pallid and turquoise) and SF to dominant mutations (dom pied, dark, violet, grey, edge dilution or misty). If it is a male he could also be split for sex liked mutations (opaline, cinnamon and ino)
Example: rainbow (pallid-SF turquoise) female X green-SF dom pied-SF dark-SF violet-SF grey-SF misty- SF edge dilution split ino, opaline, cinnamon and turquoise male.

You can try the genetic calculator or any other software ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there anybody with a huge computer able to take out the milliards of possible combinations?

Good luck

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

ok, could we try that in plain english please? lol, i dont know all the technical names for the different colours like golden cherry and blue rainbow grey rainbow etc not blue pallid turq blah blah, i am still learning. all i want ot know is if the last clutch got 3 blue rainbow with the albino hen what would happen with a blue hen?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi SCB -SA,

What Recio is saying is that if you pair your Rainbow = (Turquoise(pastel) blue Pallid(lacewing)
with a blue hen then you will get.

Visual blue males and turquoise blue males
and the females will be
Visual blue pallid - blue lacewings
Visual Turquoise blue pallid = Rainbow same as dad.

Thanks Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Thanks dog glenn, much easier to understand, as I say i am still learning... what would i get pairing my rainbow with albino hen? Any chance I could get an albino baby? and is it true that the colour of the mum will be colour of male babies and colour of dad will be colour of female babies or is that only true in certain colours?
Recio

Post by Recio »

SCB -SA wrote:what would i get pairing my rainbow with albino hen? Any chance I could get an albino baby?
Let's consider that your rainbow male is made up of pallid turquoise blue (the most usual) and that he is not split. Let's consider that your albino female is build up of sex linked ino and blue (the most usual, also) and that she is not split to other mutations. Then:

Pallid-turquoise-blue male X blue-ino female
Males
50.0% 1.0 blue pallidIno bl/bl;inopd/ino
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallidIno bltq/bl;inopd/ino
Females
50.0% 0.1 blue pallid bl/bl;inopd/Y
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid bltq/bl;inopd/Y

... is it true that the colour of the mum will be colour of male babies and colour of dad will be colour of female babies or is that only true in certain colours?
The colour of dad will be the colour of female babies only for sex linked mutations (SL ino, opaline, cinnamon and pallid ... as you can see in the example above). For the rest it depends on both parents and if the mutation is dominant or recessive, and it is not related to the sex of the babies.

Regards

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Dogg Glenn, care to translate Recio's explanation above into understandable English for me please? as i say im still learning all these colour things.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Yep no worries,

You wont get Albino babies is the first thing.

The babies you will get are

Females will be blue pallid = blue lacewing
and pastel blue lacewing = Rainbow.

Males will be (hard to explain)
blue lacewing ino (bird will look more yellow green then blue)
pastel blue lacewing ino (will look more yellow green and have the pastel markings)

Ta Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

thanks glen, so i would have to pair the albino to an albino to get an albino baby?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

You could also pair her to a blue male but the male would need to be split to ino in other worlds carry that gene.

Ta Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

well i fetched them this weekend and they are BEAUTIFUL!!! he is like a cream/light yellow/ light blue, and she is a lovely white, but looks light blue in certain sunlight.... amazing!