2 baby blues

Moderator: Mods

kellweaz

2 baby blues

Post by kellweaz »

Hi all I am new to the forum, not new to ringnecks but new to hand rearing them,, we decided to give it a go at handrearing 2 baby ringnecks and so far so good :D , they hatched on the 19th september and we took them from the nest box at 4 weeks when they had most of there feathers through,, well pin feathers,, they are housed in a hotbox with thermostat,, they are doing really really well both putting on weight and growing nicely, they are on 3 meals a day 7am, 2pm and 9pm.. they are also being syringe fed,, I dont feel confident enough yet to be shown how to use the crop needle and I didnt even want to try the spoon feeding,, sorry to those that prefer the spoon..

My question is tonight they have both started pecking around the hot box so I offered them some soak seed and mash,, they are walking all through it making a lovely mess :roll: but its worth it.. Am I doing the right thing in offering them food now or should I be waiting? One had food all around its beak I know its not being eaten properly but its a start,, do I continue with the 3 meals a day or do I drop the 2pm feed? Whats the best feed to give them? I also have 2 ecelectus parrots and a quaker that are on soak seed and fresh veg daily,, I dont offer seed at all do I need to give the ringnecks seeds? Can they have pellets?

Oh if I have forgotten something please feel free to add thankyou for reading Kellie
rod038

Re: 2 baby blues

Post by rod038 »

Yes I would keep doing what you are doing by adding some soft foods for them to try and eventually mix in some seed as well. Keep the box clean and remove uneaten food. Ringnecks do eat seed as the main part of their diet, Supplemented with fresh fruit and vege.
julie

Re: 2 baby blues

Post by julie »

if you are going to be feeding pellets start them off with them and dont worry about the seeds. try soaking the pellets in either warm water or fruit juice and make it into a mash.