My New Greeny! How to handle first days?

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

RingNeckCrazy

My New Greeny! How to handle first days?

Post by RingNeckCrazy »

So got a new ringneck yesterday, store assured me he was hand reared but he was caged with other ringnecks so is a bit shy to interact with me. He will take seeds from my hand and allow me to pet him :) but he refuses to step onto my hand. he also hasnt eatin much since and im alittle worried! how can i help him to feel more comfortable and eat? also i leave the cage open for him but he is too shy to come out! Please help!
mickpmc

Re: My New Greeny! How to handle first days?

Post by mickpmc »

RingNeckCrazy wrote:So got a new ringneck yesterday, store assured me he was hand reared but he was caged with other ringnecks so is a bit shy to interact with me. He will take seeds from my hand and allow me to pet him :) but he refuses to step onto my hand. he also hasnt eatin much since and im alittle worried! how can i help him to feel more comfortable and eat? also i leave the cage open for him but he is too shy to come out! Please help!
If you just got him/her, you got to let it settle into it's new enviourment.
Just sitting next to it every day for 15/20 talking to it, giving it treats. After you sit
by it for a week, and it trust to obtain food off you; start to handle it. Give it fresh fruit like, watermelon, apple,
give it a branch to stand/chew on (check if it's not poisonous) :D .
Spending time with it is the main key to a friendship with you and your bird.
Get it's wings cut, let it open in a room with no windows/ make space. Stand away of it, (But remember, this is after you've handled
it). Call to it, talk to it and it will be fine 8) .
Patience my friend!

Welcome to the forum!

-Michael

Milo...Boy...Buddy
Melika

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the board. :) Like Michael said, let him settle in.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

G'day and welcome ringneckcrazy.

Don't be too disheartened that your new ringie is a bit apprehensive in the new home. He needs time to settle in and get used to everything.
It is a great sign that he is taking food from your hand, makes it easier for him to bond with you. :)
Once he has settled in, you can use food to your advantage to entice him to step up.
Here is a site that may help you teach him to step up....
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 5&aid=2580
Just remember not to rush him. :)