How many goes a season

Moderator: Mods

dog_glenn123

How many goes a season

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi all just a quike question.

If the pairs breed and the eggs are not firtile and you pull them out how many times will they breed and lay a season.

I of my pairs has gone twice both times no luck.

The other pair once and it looks like they are about to go again.

Thanks Glenn
pinkdevil

Re: How many goes a season

Post by pinkdevil »

I have read where some birds have had up to 3 clutches per season, but I think that could be when eggs are pulled for incubation.
My pair have always had 2 clutches/season, even when I let them raise the first clutch on their own to discourage from double clutching. They started breeding second time round before the first clutch had left the box. Guess they were happy to breed again.
Jasper, my hen, has had 2 seasons of dud eggs. Not sure if their timing was off or not compatible.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Thanks Pinkdevil.

Thats what i tought i know why mine arent firtile.

1 pair the cock bird is only 11 months old and the other pair have never breed before.

I just dont want them to breed over and over again for no reason! it looks like it takes a bit out of the hens.

Thanks Glenn
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

To help stop the hen laying, you could leave her sit on the eggs even if they are not fertile, or take out the nest box. Might discourage from breeding.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Well it looks like the pair that has already gone twice has stopped now. (I cant remove there nest box its attached to the outside of the suspended avairy.

The other pair i will let them have one more go!

ThanKS Glenn
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yeah, the most my birds have breed is 2 clutches per year....except for the lories....they are just furry rabbits!!!! :shock:

You could always block the nestbox off if you wanted.

I keep my boxes in the aviary all year round. Just incase the birds ever need to hide from weather etc.
I have actually seen them retreat in the boxes when hawks or preditor birds fly by or try to attack them through the outside of the aviary.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Ta the only problem is ibuilt the aviary (with no forsite, typical male) and cant reach up to the hole.

But mine on cold nights still sleep inside the nest box.

Thanks Glenn