My ring necks have babies...a lil help please?

Moderator: Mods

Brookstarr

My ring necks have babies...a lil help please?

Post by Brookstarr »

Hi,

My ringnecks have just had babies. :D We weren't even sure if they had eggs or if the female was just hiding in the box out of the weather. My husband put the box in a place thats pretty difficult to see in.. BOYS! :roll: LOL! Anyways... I have been reading some of the info on the site and am considering hand rearing them. From what i can see I should wait about 3 weeks before I take them out but I'm not sure what to do as far as keeping them warm at that age. Do I need a brooder box or can I get away with a heat pad and if I'm using a heat pad whats the best "container" (for want of a better word) to keep the babies in? Also my birds are first time parents. From what I have seen it sounds like the babies are at a higher risk with first time parents. I have just become a first time parent myself so hopefully parenthood comes as easily to Aussie and Oi as it did to me! I am going to speak to some local people also for advice but any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Brooke :D
xx_sheena_xx

Re: My ring necks have babies...a lil help please?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Congrats :mrgreen:

I pull my babies out at 2 weeks old, at this age I put them in an empty ice cream container with pine shavings with paper towel over the pine shavings. I put about 3 towels that are folded in half over them and this keeps them warm. You can use a brooder but I havent so hopefullt someone else can tell you how to make them.

New time parents can have a little bit of trouble sometimes but usually their fine. Feed the parents lots of fruit and veggies because these are softer than pellets and seeds so it makes it easier to feed the babies. You can buy "soft food" mixes, which you mix with water for the parents to eat but its not always needed.

Good luck!