Would this be safe to feed?

Moderator: Mods

Jen144

Would this be safe to feed?

Post by Jen144 »

I'm getting my first IRN tomorrow, so I'm making up a mix of fruit/veges etc and freezing them in packets to feed to him daily. Soo I was wondering if this would make a suitable addition, it's a 'trail mix' stuff, dried fruit and nuts. I'll list ALL of it's ingredients from the packet so I won't miss anything that could be harmful...:

'Peanuts, sultanas, yoghurt, sugar, hydrogenated Palm Kernel oil, milk, solids, yoghurt powder, emulsifier (soya lecithin, citric acid), vegetable gums (401.466), glazing (553B.904), raisins (vegetable oil), almonds, cashews, coconut (preservative 220), Brazil's pawpaw and pineapple (sugar, citric acid, preservative 220), walnuts.'
Plus it says it 'may contain traces of tree nuts, sesame seeds, milk products, peanuts, soya beans, and cereal containing gluten.'

Lol sorry for listing every single ingredient but I have to make sure. Answers soon would be great! Thanks.
ellieelectrons

Re: Would this be safe to feed?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Jen

Congrats on your new addition. That's very exciting.

I'm not an expert but thought I'd give you my opinion as you were after a quick answer. I'm not sure that the trail mix is going to be suitable. Peanuts are high in fat so if you are going to give them to your bird they should be in really small portions (eg. I give mine peanut granules). I also can't imagine that all of the preservatives are going to be that good for the bird. I don't think sugar is a good idea to feed a bird because I have heard people even say not to give them too much fruit as the don't need too much sugar (I give mine fruit daily but try to give them more veges than fruit.). Also, I can't imagine that palm kernel oil, emulsifier or vegetable gums are going to be very healthy for the bird. Sorry to be so negative, but that's my opinion... maybe someone else will have a different prognosis?

Having said all that, it probably depends how much trail mix they are going to eat.

Looking through that ingredient list makes me wary of ever buying trail mix for myself again! lol

Regards

Ellie.