New to the forum :)

Moderator: Mods

Scrum

New to the forum :)

Post by Scrum »

Hiya bird lovers,

I'm new to the forum here and contemplated making my first post in the greeting section, but I have an important question and wanted to get your knowledgeable minds spinning. My name is Joe, and me and my wife are fellow bird lovers. We have a small variety of avian friends. My 15 year old Blue fronted amazon named Bizzet (female), a mated pair of Ekkies (YlangYlang and Delki), and a 5 month old baby blue Indian Ringneck named Zoey.

My question is about Zoey. We recently purchased her from a reliable, loving, breeder in Salt Lake City, Utah. When we arrived to pick her up she was almost 10 weeks old. Very healthy, bright eyes, sleek feathers, solid blue, sociable, vocal and all around happy. She still is bright eyed, very vocal, mobile (she follows us around the house), and happy. BUT, over the last couple of weeks she has been developing single bright green/yellow feathers in random spots on her body. The majority are on her cheeks but she has them popping up all over. I didn't notice any of these until her first molt. Her mother is Turquoise and her father is Green. I've been searching the internet for information on this and praying its not liver disease. She is on a good diet of Rowdy Brush daily maintenance pellets. Treats include a chop made of fruits, veggies, grains, beans. On OCCASION she gets some spray. Her diet is 70% pellet ( the rowdy brush ) and 30% chop with the occasional piece of spray or cheerios.

She hasn't had a change in behavior whatsoever, still happy and the same ol Zoey but her feathers are changing and I need to know whats going on. Any advice/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Ring0Neck

Re: New to the forum :)

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Scrum
Welcome to the forum.

Could you email me a photo of Zoey? and i will post it here for you
(becuase you are a new member you won't be allowed to post pics)

email it to:email removed

83IV
Last edited by Ring0Neck on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Perhaps it's a turquoiseBlue? (though that doesn't account for the yellow feathers)
Echoing Ben here, need to see pics.
Scrum

Post by Scrum »

E-mailing you those pics now. The feathers are actually more green than anything. They are little baby feathers (i assume the ones she lost during her molt) but they are very green at the base and lighter green (almost yellow) at the tips. Thanks for the quick responses
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

To me it looks like as if Zoey is a turquoise and the green feathers are popping out and more to come, healthy otherwise IMO

Zoey's pics below:

bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

Yep, turquoise coming through for sure...... looks like zoey is out for a driving lesson, smart birds these damn ringnecks :D
Scrum

Post by Scrum »

Thank you guys for the info. I feel relieved and can't wait to see what she looks like when they all come in =) You all have been a big help and your site is very professional and full of great info. It's now in my bookmarks. Thanks again
Scrum

Post by Scrum »

Just wanted to toss up an updated picture and make sure everyone still feels she is a turquoise. Zoey seems to be filling out with more green feathers. Unfortunately Its telling me (Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached) though =(
MissK

Post by MissK »

Scrum, make a few more posts (half dozen will probably do it) and then you'll get to enjoy learning how to put photos up.

By the way, are you actually in Utah?

-MissK
-MissK
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Scrum's Updated pic

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

She's a beauty!!! :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Scrum

Post by Scrum »

Awesome, thanks for getting the pic up =) . So in your guys opinion, what would the technical term for her mutation be called? And, no we dont live in Utah, we live in Wyoming. But salt lake city is just a short trip down the highway for us =0). Not much in the way of reputable avian breeders in my area so we make the journey for all of our birdly affairs.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Scrum,

Your bird is turning out pretty cool there!

I was hoping, if you were in Utah, you might keep your eyes open in case you might come across my bird's breeder. I don't know who they were, but I'd love to find them. I want to know when he hatched and how the heck he ended up in Pennsylvania, where he was bought from some kind of bird farm about nine years ago. All I have to go on is the leg band: T&M UT 5851. It's not much. The bird is now approximately 11 years old, and I've had him a year. The bird farm where the original family got him is now out of business. I guess it's the same old story for all adopted kids.... : (

Have fun raising your new bird!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Scrum...her mutation is called a turquoise. Do a google search and you'll see one fully feathered out. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D