Female IRN being in love with my father

Moderator: Mods

digitaltiger

Female IRN being in love with my father

Post by digitaltiger »

Hello everyone,im trying to pair two green ringnecks,but the (possible) problem is that my female is in love with my father,whenever she see's him she goes crazy,trying to fly to him,she let him pet her also and when he does shes clucking and making a weird sound like shes mating with him.
I have a feeling that she will not bond with my male ringneck because of this,what you guys think?
Panos
JimHcctx

Re: Female IRN being in love with my father

Post by JimHcctx »

I have had a few like that. Completely imprinted on humans. They make fantastic pets but I never got any of them to breed and one hen killed two of her mates.

Do you know anything about the birds upbringing? I am very curious. Each one I had that was human imprinted was purchased by someone from a breeder right out of the nest and they had hand raised it singularly.

I have not tested the theory, but if they don’t have clutch mates, bonding to humans seems far more likely. If you do attempt to breed her and she shows aggression, clip her and leave the male flighted so he can get away from her. If she goes after him, you may just want to get another hen to breed and keep that chick for your dad.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Panos

It is possible that they won't bond. How old is your female?

I think to maximise the chances of her bonding with the bird your father should stop interacting with her for a while. I know that might be hard, but it is probably best for the long run? Other members of your family could then also start taking a bigger role in her life as well as trying to get the bond happening with the male IRN.

I'll tell you a bit about my situation. We got our handraised female IRN first. She has always had a special bond with my husband although she still accepts me and likes me. Because I spend more time with her then he does, I also have slightly better control over her (eg. easier for me to get her to step up, go back to her cage, etc.). When she was about 1.5 years of age, we brought home an immature handraised male bird, he was about 3 months old. I kept them in separate rooms for quite some time, then gradually moved their cages closer together, started to let them have supervised out of cage time together, and then one day they both went into Janey's cage at the same time... so that weekend I let them cohabitate under close supervision and they've been cohabitating ever since. They feed each other, do a small amount of grooming each other and mate during mating season. Janey will still let us both pat her and will arch her back and cluck for us when she wants us to pat her.

Ellie.
digitaltiger

Post by digitaltiger »

Hello everyone and thanks fro the replies,so i got her at the age of 3-4 months old,she was with some other same age ringnecks which probably where her brothers,i was told she was hand fed but i dont know if this was true,she was not tamed when i got her and that might be because from the time she was fed she was left with the others and there was no interaction with her from that person,so she got back a bit wild.
I have thought also of keeping her away from my father or tell him to ignore her completely just like shes not there,shes loves him so much that from the time she sees him coming she tries to fly to him and acting really energetic showing how happy she is hes there.
Shes really aggressive towards the cock which is 4 years old,shes about a year old right now,i know shes not mature yet to breed but at least i want them to bond so i can put them together.
Right now they are in seperate cages really close the one with the other,and she spends all day next to him,hes not much interested in her(maybe because he knows shes still young)but when he comes really close to her she pings her eyes fast and gets her head big,and sometimes she tries to bite him.
Im making a large flight cage and im planning to put them together,her wings are clipped,he has fully developed ones and hes a great at flying.
Hope its not tiring to read all that
Thanks again!