To clip or not to clip

Moderator: Mods

gravy1nt

To clip or not to clip

Post by gravy1nt »

Trying to build a relationship with blue, but when it's time to go back into the cage, blue is having none of it.

What's more, she is so intelligent, she knows how to duck, dive, avoid and everything when she knows it's bed time.

She is very confident in the air, but sometimes, she does hit the wall.

Firstly, I am worried for her safety - Flying into a wall and damaging a wing, breaking beak or dislocating a wing???
Secondly, I am worried that the whole getting her into the cage routine is traumatizing for her when the only way we can get her in the cage is to catch her with a small blanket, and is damaging her relationship with us.

On the other hand, I do believe that birds were given wings to fly - so not only are we keeping them indoors, but also taking flight away from them is kind of cruel. She does love to spread her wings around the living room and it is a pleasure watching her flying from perch, to land on our heads, then take off again.

So the burning question - to clip the wings or to leave her be???
SCB 22

Re: To clip or not to clip

Post by SCB 22 »

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I personally say, clip, just so you can build a better relationship, handle blue more etc etc.

Remember, even if you clip, they will grow back and blue will have the freedom of flight again.
When i tamed my male down from an aviary, but once he was more used to being handled and relaxed with me, I have let his wings grow out again, and he is able top fly around.
Parrotlover

Post by Parrotlover »

In my opinion you should not clip her wings. My parrot Rafiki, didn't want to get i his cage but I tricked him! Every time when he refused to go in the cage I put an apple ( he must see it ) in the cage and I pull over then few minutes later he can't stand any more knowing that there is an apple in the cage he goes in and I quickly close the cage door. Now he knows that on the next day he will get out again and I have no problems putting him in the cage. Hope I've helped you. Wish you luck. (but try everything before clipping her wings)
Want to earn some easy money while staying at home? This is your chance register now here for FREE --->
http://www.neobux.com/?rh=4C696C6F3238
mattmak_09

Post by mattmak_09 »

DON'T CLIP!!!
i'll never clip a bird again. My relationship with my gcc has exponentially increased ever since we've practiced flying. Theres nothing like it. Hes thrilled every time we fly and practice. If your ringneck does touch training then you are well on your way. Just yesterday I flew him down the hall in one of buildings at my university-i've never seen him soo happy.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has never been clipped. As soon as I put food in his cage he goes in like a shot!
Never underestimate an IRN's tummy magnet!.
amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Clip, clip, clip....no broken necks, no getting out and flying into the wild to be eaten by something it's not used to!! BEST OF ALL NO POOP ALL OVER THE HOUSE AND FURNITURE....so unhealthy!!! They are just as happy....after all we have already caged them....why not clip for there safety!! But in the end...personal preference!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, you'll find that the wing clipping thing has supporters and opponents.
Best of luck training Blue!
-MissK
-MissK