Hello from Buffalo NY

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

wulfie

Hello from Buffalo NY

Post by wulfie »

Hi guys and gals, I'm new here, imagine that ;) Got a quick question that I hope you all can answer. I don't have an IRN 'yet' and am still doing some research. My big problem is that we live in an apartment and I've read on a lot of other forums that IRNs aren't good for an apartment because they're too loud. I've been trying to decide between a green cheek conure and an IRN. All the videos I've seen make them look SO cute, and they're little voice is just adorable. So am I crazy for wanting an IRN in an apartment? Should I go with a GCC instead? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a bunch :D
ellieelectrons

Re: Hello from Buffalo NY

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think just about any bird can be a noise problem. I don't know about GCCs but I've heard some pretty horrific noises come from Sun Conures.

There were some beautiful birds I saw a few weeks ago that make next to no noise. I'll find out what they are for you.

Ellie.
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

ellieelectrons wrote:I think just about any bird can be a noise problem. I don't know about GCCs but I've heard some pretty horrific noises come from Sun Conures.

There were some beautiful birds I saw a few weeks ago that make next to no noise. I'll find out what they are for you.

Ellie.
thanks, I'd really appreciate it
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Wulfie

Finally found out about the species of bird that makes very little noise. They were brought to last months avicultural club meeting. They are called Kakarikis and are a New Zealand parrot. All I know about them is that they don't make much noise, other than that, I don't know if they are suited to apartment living. I suggest if you are interested in getting one, you do thorough research first. There were four of them at our last club meeting and they were adorable.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wulfie,

I wish you the best in your endeavor!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
juliejay

Post by juliejay »

Hi there,

I'm not experienced to give you any advice as I'm new to birds myself , all I can tell you is my IRN Ringo who is 2 is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loud thank god I have good neighbours...but my younger one star as hand raised so she isn't as loud...

wishing you luck

Julie

Sydney Australia
RedNado130

Post by RedNado130 »

Hello!! I know this post is a couple of months old but I wanted to ask if you decided on a bird!
Also, I'm actually in the Buffalo area as well and was wondering if you've found any IRN's in the area? I've been searching a TON and it doesn't seem that many people have them(I'm worried about getting them shipped to me). I'm still veeerrryyy torn between getting an IRN or a Cockatiel, I'm in an aparement as well. My boyfriend owns the house and his friend lives upstairs so the noise isn't a huge issue for me.
I feel like I'm in the same boat that you are/were!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Red,

I chose the Ringneck.