how do you name your bird without knowing the gender?

Moderator: Mods

theAteam

how do you name your bird without knowing the gender?

Post by theAteam »

as the title says, how can you name them without knowing if they are male or female? waiting for 3 years to name a bird is a bit long :lol: . I'm thinking of genetic testing but I don't want to rip feathers out from them, that would just mess with trust. i have two yellow ringnecks so I can't collect feathers that have already dropped, as I have no idea which it came from :? .

cheers
Maniiacy

Re: how do you name your bird without knowing the gender?

Post by Maniiacy »

If you or whoever you have to clip your birds toe nails accidentally clips too far, (quickly) before stopping the bleeding, collect some of the blood on the blood card (if you were to get your results from Avian Biotech), a paper towel, or some sheet of paper. :)

Or, you could have a vet pull the feather for you. It will still hurt the bird, but I suppose there would be less of a chance of lost trust.

I named mine both without knowing their genders; Bonnie and Clyde. I don't think it will bother me, or them, if their names don't match their sex.
You could try naming them based on their personality or something related to their physical appearance. :) Those names wouldn't necessarily have to have a gender tied to them.

Good luck! :D
theAteam

Re: how do you name your bird without knowing the gender?

Post by theAteam »

Bonnie and Clyde are on our top 3 list! hah! I also like Samson and Delilah!

I can't get myself to hurt the babies, they are not tame yet so I can't get near them. I think we'll have to come up with a couple of gender-neutral names and save them the unnecessary pain.