Inherited an IRN from a friend!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Tania4

Inherited an IRN from a friend!

Post by Tania4 »

Hi, A friend gave us her IRN some time ago, when she was going overseas, and didn't want it back when she returned. It had never bonded with her. We have kept her (Valentine) in a large outdoor aviary together with some finches (now deceased) and quails, as that is what we had available at the time. Valentine started off absolutely terrified, and any time we came within a few metres, she would tremble and get as far away as possible. I have been trying to spend some time in the cage each day and have been watching taming videos etc, but I still can't get close. She will not eat when I am in sight, and seems to spend a lot of her time on the floor of the cage, near a large mirror we placed in there. It seems that the large outdoor aviary is really not a suitable place for her, but I have no idea how we can catch her to move her. I can't imagine being successful in throwing a towel over her, as I have read elsewhere. I am off to search the database to see if anyone has already posted a useful answer, but if anyone has suggestions, please post. I feel that we are doing her a disservice by keeping her where she is.
I am in Brisbane, Queensland. It is great to see so many Aussies on here!