Thinking About Getting an IRN

Moderator: Mods

jaimmorr

Thinking About Getting an IRN

Post by jaimmorr »

Hello, everyone. I've only posted one other time on here in the introductory section.

I really am interested in IRNs. I have been doing lots of research on them, but I'm a little hesitant on getting one. I have never owned a bird before, but I grew up around my friend's birds. They have a Cockatoo and an African Grey and I loved them to pieces. I want a bird I can interact with, not just a Finch or something similar.

The only things I'm concerned with are:

1. Time - I work from 8-5, Monday thru Friday. I would definitely spend time with my bird in the mornings before I left and in the evenings from when I got home until probably 9 or 10 at night. I would most likely be spending all weekends with him or her. My partner works from 3PM-11PM every day except Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I don't really know if she would be comfortable with getting him or her out. That, we would have to see about. Is this enough time for me to get an IRN? I don't want an unhappy bird, so if this is the type of bird that needs to be out all day long, I won't get one.

2. I have heard about this kind of bird being a little aggressive. Especially if they are not played with and socialized constantly. I want a friendly bird. Of course, I would train him or her and spend time with it.

3. I have three dogs, a Chihuahua (4 lbs), a Miniature Pinscher (8 lbs), and a Pit Bull mix (about 35 lbs, but not fully grown yet). They are all very sweet and know the 'Leave It' command. I'm just a little concerned because when I was home, I would want to be able to have all my dogs out as well as the bird. Any suggestions on this? (I have no cats)

Also, if I were to leave for an hour or two could I leave his or her cage open or put him or her on the play stand? Not sure if this would give it extra playtime or if it would escape and go hunting for trouble..? (My dogs are in their crates when we are gone)

Are IRNs birds that you can take out in public? I don't really know if this is recommended for any type of bird, but it is something I would be interested in doing. Just to the park and Petco, places like that. I would, of course, buy it a harness.

If someone could give me a bit of guidance, that would be wonderful. Sorry about all the questions! Thanks so much. :]
Maniiacy

Re: Thinking About Getting an IRN

Post by Maniiacy »

jaimmorr wrote:Hello, everyone. I've only posted one other time on here in the introductory section.

I really am interested in IRNs. I have been doing lots of research on them, but I'm a little hesitant on getting one. I have never owned a bird before, but I grew up around my friend's birds. They have a Cockatoo and an African Grey and I loved them to pieces. I want a bird I can interact with, not just a Finch or something similar.

The only things I'm concerned with are:

1. Time - I work from 8-5, Monday thru Friday. I would definitely spend time with my bird in the mornings before I left and in the evenings from when I got home until probably 9 or 10 at night. I would most likely be spending all weekends with him or her. My partner works from 3PM-11PM every day except Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I don't really know if she would be comfortable with getting him or her out. That, we would have to see about. Is this enough time for me to get an IRN? I don't want an unhappy bird, so if this is the type of bird that needs to be out all day long, I won't get one.

2. I have heard about this kind of bird being a little aggressive. Especially if they are not played with and socialized constantly. I want a friendly bird. Of course, I would train him or her and spend time with it.

3. I have three dogs, a Chihuahua (4 lbs), a Miniature Pinscher (8 lbs), and a Pit Bull mix (about 35 lbs, but not fully grown yet). They are all very sweet and know the 'Leave It' command. I'm just a little concerned because when I was home, I would want to be able to have all my dogs out as well as the bird. Any suggestions on this? (I have no cats)

Also, if I were to leave for an hour or two could I leave his or her cage open or put him or her on the play stand? Not sure if this would give it extra playtime or if it would escape and go hunting for trouble..? (My dogs are in their crates when we are gone)

Are IRNs birds that you can take out in public? I don't really know if this is recommended for any type of bird, but it is something I would be interested in doing. Just to the park and Petco, places like that. I would, of course, buy it a harness.

If someone could give me a bit of guidance, that would be wonderful. Sorry about all the questions! Thanks so much. :]
1) I'm not sure about the time, since I am home all day (home-school). I don't see it as a problem, though; so long as they do get attention in the mornings and evenings. If your partner were to be willing to try handling them alone, they would get attention nearly all day anyways. :)

2) Again, shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that you may not like is that these birds can be selective, and pick either your partner or yourself to be "theirs".

3) I'm not sure about dogs, but one of my cats adores the birds, and will let them sit on her, while the other simply leaves them alone. Birds in general can be scared around dogs or cats, though; It's instinct. See how the bird reacts around the dogs while in a cage first, then go from there.

I would not suggest leaving your bird alone outside of the cage for any period of time, especially if dogs were also to be in that room/home. If they are clipped, they can still flutter around and might hurt them-self, or get into things they should not.

I take mine outside all the time and they do fine. :) Before going to Petco though, be sure they are comfortable with other animals and strangers.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm still fairly new to birds myself. ;) All of this is just with my experience and what I've been told by my breeder and people here.
jaimmorr

Re: Thinking About Getting an IRN

Post by jaimmorr »

Thank you so much for the reply! I am still thinking, but your answer helped me.

I am trying to decide between an IRN and a Senegal. If someone has experience with both, it would be awesome if they could share their experiences.

Please, all responses are welcome! Thanks!