New scared IRN baby - how to gain his trust?

Moderator: Mods

Pattu Rani

New scared IRN baby - how to gain his trust?

Post by Pattu Rani »

I just brought home a hand raised 3 month old green IRN male on Thursday - breeder shipped him to me so I was unable to meet the little guy beforehand. I have a lot of experience with birds and I have to say 'Krishna' is unlike any other handfed bird I have taken care of. He won't let anyone near him. The moment anyone goes close he will run/fly in the opposite direction. He is so scared, poor baby. :( How do we gain his trust? The only way I can handle him is if I towel him and hold him close for a few minutes, then he will let me touch his head, though I still stay clear of his beak as he tries to bite.

Any advice on how to make Krishna less afraid and more tame would be appreciated!
ellieelectrons

Re: New scared IRN baby - how to gain his trust?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I had a similar problem when we brought home our lutino IRN Charlie. He had been handraised but was really scared of us.

I am presuming he is weaned because I'm not sure how you would go about hand feeding him if he is that wild other than grabbing him in a towel.

With Charlie I started getting him used to taking treats from a baby spoon. He found the baby spoon less threatening than my hand. Once he was used to that, I gradually started moving my hand up the spoon so that it was closer to him and eventually I got him taking them from my hand... and then taking them from my hand whilst he was sitting on my hand. Charlie is really tame now and a very sweet bird.

I hope that helps... although I'm not sure what you should do if you are still trying to handfeed him.

Maybe he got traumatised in the shipping process?

Good luck.

Ellie.
Pattu Rani

Re: New scared IRN baby - how to gain his trust?

Post by Pattu Rani »

Yes, he is weaned - eating seeds, pellets and some fruit. He is still scared - whenever someone comes up to his cage he flies in the opposite direction. He is partially clipped but can still fly from the top of his cage to a room divider where I can't reach him. :x I am looking for an avian vet in my area and will see if the vet can clip him a little more. I used to trim my Senegal(who passed away 4 yrs ago :( ) but this little baby would probably never forgive me, if he would even let me handle him. I did get him to step up to a handheld perch a couple of days ago(after which he flew off as usual) and that is as close as I have been able to get to him. Will try different foods to see what he likes the best. I know he likes apples. Honestly I think he is still traumatized from his big voyage - he doesn't play with toys or utter a peep unless he is trying to get away from me. I think he is depressed. :(