Help hand rearing - Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Moderator: Mods

grunto

Help hand rearing - Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Post by grunto »

Hi,

I have a clutch of baby IRNs which I have pulled from the nest (as the parents killed the last clutch). They are only two days old. I had hoped to hand rear them (I have done this previously) but due to a combination of work and travel, I am unable to do so over a number of days over the next few weeks. The first hurdle is Tue 6 Oct - Thu 8 Oct. I am looking for some one that may be able to feed the babies (initially next week but also on some other days over the next few weeks). I am able to provide all the equipment (incubator / brooder, food, feeding spoon, digital thermometer etc). I am also willing to offer some form of compensation (perhaps one of the birds?). Would prefer eastern suburbs of Melbourne (Ringwood / Croydon). At this stage would need to drop off Mon evening and pick up Thu evening. If you can help please email me directly on:
grant.tudor@gmail.com
Fah

Re: Help hand rearing - Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Post by Fah »

Was there any reason you have pulled them so early in the first place? You will find very few people familiar with raising birds that young.

Hopefully you can get some help. Best of luck :D
grunto

Post by grunto »

I pulled the clutch because the parents killed the first clutch this season (4 babies). I just didn't want the second clutch to suffer the same fate. I actually hatched them in an incubator (pulled the eggs after 20 days). I have hand reared day old babies for a number of seasons now (I have two pairs of bad parents) with reaonable success (only one baby has died). Complicated by unexpected work and travel committments this year.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Fair enough :D

I do hope someone can lend a hand. I know all too well what hand raising when you cant afford to hand raise is like :/