More fighting

Moderator: Mods

ian1

More fighting

Post by ian1 »

After a quiet spell my female IRN has started going bezerk about her territory and attacking the Alex. Apparently everywhere except the sofa belongs to her.

It's full on 'build her self up', fuzzy head, pin eyes then a suicidal charge. I say this because shes flying into him with all her might. Where the fight is a standing fight, she's just not stopping despite a big Alex beak to get past.

Luckily the Alex is a softy and isn't even pinning yet but I'm getting worried her sharp beak is going to do some damage. She's even held her ground and bitten my finger (softly) during the day which has never happened before.

It seemed to change overnight but has stuck for 3 days so far

Does anyone have any thoughts before I have to splash out on a large secomd cage to hold them apart, I'm fed up of being the referee. :(
courtney

Post by courtney »

The only thing you can do is separate before she REALLY damages Alex. This is critical. Maybe someone else will come up with a better solution but it sounds like they really need to be separated. You may have to buy another cage. Sometimes it just happens. That is why I didn’t get a second IRN. I was to scared that would happen. It was a tough decision.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

ian1

Post by ian1 »

Thanks, I think you are right, I can't wait it out in case either bird lands a bad hit. Sadly if I cage the IRN it will have to be permanent (she's lived free for 6mths because she can't be handled, a hassle but she keeps to her tree and makes little mess).

There won't be any exercise because she can't be recaged. I don't object to another huge cage but I hoped that, because this behaviour came from nowhere it might be a hormonal burst that would pass.
ian1

Post by ian1 »

Sigh...well it's done. I had to wait till nightfall, dim the lights and hang about innocently before snatching her from her 'sleeping branch'......setting taming efforts back months (she has a looong memory).

Last chance came today when she attacked him on my shoulder. I suspect I am the problem and he is the scapegoat....

I know it's better than fighting injuries and I suppose they can at long last spend an hour in the garden but she has the most incredibly pee'd-off face it's possible for a ringy to have.

She's looking for an exit :( I hate it when they do that, I get the guilts.
bec

Post by bec »

female irns do get very territorial about their cages even my hand reared totally tame girl wont let me touch her in her cage but will snuggle with me on the couch
get another cage fly out times can be worked out even with ones who are a problem getting in i feed my daughters bird popcorn in his cage went he refuses to got to bed i just grab a hand ful & put it in a bowl at the back of hic cage & he flys straight in